Avoiding Fresno Trucking Accidents
If you spend any time driving on California’s highways, you know that large commercial trucks are a common sight. This is because trucking is a vital part of the California economy. According to the Department of Transportation, over 75 percent of communities in California are dependent on large commercial trucks to deliver necessary items and supplies like food, gasoline, medicine, and more. Moreover, California has a massive coastline that boasts many major ports. The state is also one of the nation’s key agricultural regions, producing much of the food that the rest of the country depends on. All of this means that big rigs are common on California roads. Because of this, California drivers should know the ins and outs of driving safely around semi trucks to ensure their safety on the road.
Common Factors of Trucking Collisions
Trucking accidents can be caused by many different factors and are likely to cause serious injuries. Because large trucks are difficult to maneuver and can’t stop quickly, it doesn’t take much to cause a crash. Some of the common factors of trucking collisions include:
- Driving while intoxicated
- Inadequate truck maintenance
- Fatigued driving
- Faulty truck equipment and/or parts
- Inadequate supervision and/or training
- Distracted driving
- Roadway defects and/or hazards
Avoiding Fresno trucking accidents is essential to keeping you and your loved ones out of harm’s way. Following are three of the most effective ways that drivers can stay safe when traveling near large trucks:
- Drive Defensively – While this advice applies to all drivers at all times, it is especially important when driving near big rigs. Make sure you maintain your attention on the road and drive predictably so that truckers can easily keep track of your vehicle. It’s also essential to remember that a part of defensive driving is maintaining your car and making sure that features such as headlights, brakes, and steering systems are working properly.
- Avoid Blind Spots – Since large trucks have massive blind spots, drivers of smaller vehicles must make sure they are not in those areas. If this is not done, this may increase the chances of a truck accident if the truck driver is switching lanes or making a turn.
- Keep a Safe Distance – Large trucks are often difficult to maneuver because of their massive size. This means that truckers are often not able to avoid accidents ahead of them or cannot easily regain control if their vehicle swerves. To make sure that you aren’t struck by a large truck, it is best to leave ample space between your car and any big rig.
Recovering Damages After Trucking Accidents
People who suffer injuries in a trucking crash are often able to claim compensation for their losses. This is usually done by pursuing a personal injury claim against the company that owns and operates the truck. However, these types of cases are often complex and involve many important details that can dramatically change how much companies are liable to pay. If you want to know a bit more about claiming damages after a trucking accident, I encourage you to watch the video below. If you want advice about your specific situation, you should contact a truck accident attorney in Fresno who has experience handling cases like yours.
More by Ed Smith, a Fresno Truck Accident Attorney:
- Preventing Fresno Trucking Accidents
- Six Rules for Truck Safety on the Road
- Reasons for Fresno Truck Accidents Due to Negligence
Fresno Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno truck accident lawyer. Truck collisions are often severe. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a crash involving a large truck, contact me at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400 to receive free, friendly advice.
I’m proud to have been serving Fresno residents for 37 years, helping them with claiming fair repayments for both wrongful death and personal injury cases. See my past case settlements and trial verdicts here.
Read reviews of our firm by our former clients on the following pages:
I am a member of:
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum, a forum for attorneys who’ve won a client more than $1 million.
- Top One Percent
- Brain Injury Association
AutoAccident.com is the number one site in Northern CA for statistics, information, and news about local car accidents and personal injury.
Avoiding Fresno Trucking Accidents: Ed Smith
Photo: ab / Avoiding Fresno Trucking Accidents
:ms ds [cs 739] cv