Multiple cars and an 18 wheeler were involved in a major Sacramento vehicle crash along Interstate 80 on November 14, resulting in at least one injury. The numbers one, two and three lanes were blocked for about forty minutes during rush hour, bringing traffic to a standstill. The accident was reported by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), which is in charge of the investigation into the crash to determine its cause. It is unknown at this time whether alcohol or drugs were a factor in the accident.
Sacramento Vehicle Crash Details
According to a CHP report, the collision, which involved five to six vehicles, occurred at about 8:20 in the morning along westbound I-80, just west of the Norwood Avenue off-ramp in North Sacramento. A Ford Mustang, other unidentified vehicles, and an 18 wheeler were involved. Emergency medical personnel with the Sacramento Fire Department were summoned to the accident site to investigate an injury to at least one person who was experiencing severe neck pain.
Neck Injuries in a Sacramento Vehicle Crash
The human neck is vulnerable in a vehicle crash, and when throat injuries occur, they can have devastating consequences. Some of the injuries that can occur include:
- Cervical strain or sprain: When the head is violently thrown backward and forward in a vehicle crash, it can cause multiple problems. One is commonly called whiplash, which represents damage to the muscles and nerves in the neck. While some cases may resolve in time, others may be persistent, causing chronic pain and additional problems such as headaches and emotional anxiety.
- Damage to vocal cords: The larynx, or voice box, can become paralyzed as a result of a car crash. This can affect the individual’s ability to speak and may interfere with breathing.
- Brain injuries: Because some neck injuries such as thoracic outlet syndrome can interfere with the blood supply to the brain, it can result in traumatic brain injury.
- Spinal cord injury: Injuries to the cervical spine can be among the most severe types of trauma. In some instances, it can cause complete paralysis or death of the individual. Signs of possible cervical spine damage include swelling, bruising, pain, muscle weakness, and lessened feeling in the legs, arms or body.
- Brachial plexus injuries: A tingling sensation, numbness or shooting pain may extend into the shoulder and down the arm into the hand due to nerve involvement. Surgery is sometimes used to repair the pressure on the nerve that is causing this medical problem.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Serious injuries can occur when a motorist and their passengers are involved in a collision with a negligent driver. However, when negligence on the part of another person or entity is involved, the injured individual may be able to place a claim for fair compensation. This can pay for the medical bills, time lost at work and other expenses associated with a Sacramento vehicle crash. I can offer you free and friendly advice if you call my office at (916) 921-6400 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400. We also have an online contact form that is easy to use.
I belong to the Million Dollar Forum as a California member. Only trial lawyers who have garnered a case settlement or jury verdict in excess of one million dollars for a client are invited to join this group.
During my 36 years as a personal injury lawyer, it has been my privilege to have represented many Sacramento and Northern Californians to obtain fair compensation. This includes all types of car accidents, wrongful death cases, and truck collisions.
It can be a hard decision on whom to call when you have suffered a personal injury and are looking for legal representation. One way to find out more about a law practice is to check out what others have had to say. At the following sites, you will find reviews by some of our clients, along with our web page on previous cases, and how they were handled:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_11998469_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 705] cv