Accident Near 3 Mile Slough Kills Two People and Injures Two Others
Accident fatalities and injuries occurred on State Route 160 near 3 Mile Slough on December 29 in a crash caused by a vehicle that crossed over into the oncoming lanes. The report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) stated that a man in a Nissan Sentra, 19, entered the opposing lanes and went into a spin. A Toyota Rav4 side-swiped the Nissan, after which the vehicle was once again struck when it was broadsided by a GMC.
Other Drivers Suffered Minor Injuries in the Crash
Both the 19-year-old driver of the Toyota and his passenger, 48, died in the collision. They were residents of Pittsburg. The driver of the Nissan, an Elk Grove woman, 38, and of the GMC, a 44-year-old man from Winters, suffered minor injuries in the crash and were both transported to a hospital for evaluation and additional treatment. Neither alcohol nor drugs are expected to be a factor in the collision that caused the accident fatalities and injuries.
Investigation Into the Cause of the Collision Being Conducted
The names of those who died in the collision have not been released, pending notification of the family. The accident is being investigated by authorities to determine what caused the Nissan driver to lose control of their vehicle.
Losing a Loved One
It is difficult to lose a family member, but losing them to negligent behavior is even harder. The family experiences a range of emotions, from grief to anger to a sense of hopelessness. They also suffer financial difficulties, especially if the deceased contributed monetarily. This lack of financial support can lead to the inability to pay for funeral and burial expenses or failing to cover normal household bills. If this happens to your family, consulting with a wrongful death attorney may help.
Filing a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
While filing a wrongful death lawsuit helps the family feel that justice is served and helps pay for costs associated with the loved one’s wrongful death, it never makes the grief the family feels go away. That is not its intention. Some of the costs covered in a wrongful death lawsuit are:
- Funeral and burial costs
- Lost wages the deceased would have earned had they lived
- The cost of hiring someone to do the jobs normally done by the decedent
- Medical costs in some cases
- Loss of the physical comfort and love lost by a spouse
- Loss of guidance and encouragement given to family members by the deceased
Causes of Accident Fatalities and Injuries
Motor vehicle collisions are usually caused by driver error, happening for a variety of reasons. The following are the main reasons accident fatalities occur:
- Distracted driving: This is the number one reason for all traffic accidents. It is linked to the multitasking lifestyle many people embrace today. While doing two or more things simultaneously may be beneficial under some circumstances, it is not advantageous when driving an automobile. Drivers who concentrate on a mobile device, talk on the phone or pay attention to something or someone else in the vehicle are putting themselves and others on the road in danger.
- Drunk driving: Almost 10,000 people are killed every year by drunk drivers. Until recently, inebriated driving was the number one reason for accident fatalities. Drinking makes decision-making difficult and slows reaction time. This combines to make it dangerous for everyone.
- Speeding: Drivers who travel over the speed limit often lose control of their vehicle, making it impossible to stop in time to avoid an accident. This is worrisome for most pedestrians, especially at intersections. This reckless type of driver is frequently involved in broadside collisions.
- Red-light runners: For various reasons, some drivers ignore both yellow and red traffic light signals, entering an intersection illegally. Drivers and pedestrians already in the intersection legally generally pay the price of this form of negligence.
- Entering opposing lanes: There are multiple reasons a driver enters an opposing lane, such as drunk driving, confusion, poor lane markings, and distraction. However, when it happens, it usually causes accident fatalities. On occasion, the municipality is responsible for the accident. This occurs when lane markings are poorly drawn, or signage is not maintained. In this case, a claim against the government authority can be filed. Since the time limit for this type of claim differs from others, it is best to consult with an injury lawyer.
- Manufacturer defects: On some occasions, driver error has nothing to do with an accident. Instead, manufacturer defects are responsible. Examples of manufacturer defects are tire blowouts, failed brakes, or a faulty accelerator. Your personal injury lawyer will examine the auto for defects and file a premises liability claim against the carmaker.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. If you have lost a loved one due to another’s negligence, call me at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. If it is easier for you, contact me using our convenient online form.
Learn more about my practice by clicking on the links below:
I am pleased to be a member of the following organizations:
:cd llo