Highway 50 Head-on Crash Causes Minor Injuries
A wrong-way collision near Placerville on October 23 caused minor injuries. The accident occurred along Highway 50 near the Broadway exit, according to the El Dorado County Fire Protection District, at around 8:00 p.m. A sedan and pickup were involved in the crash.
Authorities Determine Cause of Wrong-Way Collision
The sedan was seen along the shoulder of the highway with severe damage to its front end. One patient was taken to a nearby hospital, while medics treated the other at the accident scene. The crash is being investigated by the Placerville office of the California Highway Patrol (CHP) to determine fault and how the wrong-way collision occurred.
Causes of a Wrong-Way Collision
Most of the time, a wrong-way collision occurs because a drunk driver is behind the wheel of the vehicle. However, there are other causes of this type of dangerous accident, which include:
- Distracted driving, such as texting, leaning over to change a radio station, or other activities, can take the motorist’s focus off the road, leading to the driver mistakenly going in the wrong direction.
- Detours in construction areas can cause a wrong-way collision if the barriers aren’t clear.
- Missing or poorly placed signs can cause a driver to have a wrong-way collision. In cases where negligence by a government entity causes an injury accident, a claim may be placed for compensation. Since the statute of limitations for filing a lawsuit against a government entity is six months, getting assistance from an accident attorney may be helpful to avoid missing the deadline.
- Mechanical problems such as a frozen steering wheel, stuck accelerator, or non-working brakes can lead to a wrong-way collision because the driver cannot control their vehicle. When a defect in an auto part causes a crash with injuries, a product liability lawsuit may be placed against the manufacturer, designer, and others in the production line.
Recovering Compensation After a Wrong-Way Collision Injury
Wrong-way crashes often cause serious injuries, and if the other driver was at-fault, you might be able to place a claim to recover compensation. Although many wrong-way crash survivors live, the injuries they sustain often require extensive hospitalization, possible surgeries, and rehabilitation. The following are some of the most common injuries caused by wrong-way driving:
- Traumatic brain injuries can range from concussions to life-threatening conditions.
- Neck injuries such as cervical strain or sprain may heal quickly or become a chronic, incapacitating condition that can go on for more than a year.
- Spinal cord injuries can result in partial or complete paralysis, which means the sufferer may no longer be able to care for themself without assistance.
- Internal injuries to organs in the chest or abdomen can cause out-of-control bleeding and be life-threatening.
- Broken bones may heal quickly if the breaks are simple. Other more complex fractures may require surgical repair with pins or plates and incapacitate the sufferer for a long time.
Watch the video below to learn more about our law firm and how our accident lawyers can help with your injury case.
Placerville Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Placerville car accident lawyer. An accident can lead to serious injuries that initially appear to be minor. Depending on the circumstances, you might be able to recover compensation if you were injured due to someone else’s negligence. Please contact our accident lawyers at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. Alternatively, you can use our online message form to contact us.
Find out more about how our injury lawyer team has helped many people obtain fair compensation for their accident injuries over the years:
It is our honor to be a part of these California groups:
:cd  cha