Woman Killed in Fresno Area Pedestrian Accident
A woman was killed in a fatal pedestrian accident in the Fresno area on Sunday, April 4, 2021. The incident occurred in the parking lot of the 99 Cents Only Store located at West Avenue and Shields Avenue. A vehicle passing through the parking lot reportedly struck a woman, causing her to suffer serious injuries.
The pedestrian was taken to a local hospital where she succumbed to her injuries, the Fresno Police Department (Fresno PD) reported. The Fresno County Coroner’s Office has recently identified the pedestrian as 28-year-old Sydney Barron of Fresno. Further details on the crash were not immediately available as an investigation is ongoing.
Loss of a Close Relative
The loss of a loved one due to the reckless or careless conduct of someone else can be devastating for surviving family members. It is common for survivors to suffer a range of emotions from confusion and pain to anger and sadness. No amount of money can undo the tragedy or bring a lost close relative back. However, the assistance of an experienced Fresno wrongful death attorney can help survivors find the answers they deserve, justice, and compensation for their loss.
What Can Be Recovered in a Fresno Area Pedestrian Accident Case?
- Medical Expenses: In some wrongful death cases, the decedent may receive medical treatment after a catastrophic accident before they pass away. Survivors do not deserve to deal with the financial burden of paying for these bills if someone else’s negligence caused the fatal incident. An experienced attorney can file a survival action on behalf of the family for the recovery of medical expenses.
- Funeral Costs: As with end-of-life medical costs, sudden death can devastate a family’s finances. Survivors are entitled to the reimbursement of reasonable and necessary expenses for laying a loved one to rest.
- Lost Future Financial Support: If the decedent was the primary provider of the family, any relative who was dependent on them may be entitled to compensation for lost financial support and benefits.
- Loss of Household Services: Childcare and services for the household like getting children to school, lawn maintenance, cleaning, cooking, and running errands can be expensive. Surviving family members may claim loss of household services if their loved one provided these.
- Loss of Care, Companionship, and Guidance: California law recognizes the intangible losses related to the loss of a loved one, including lost care, companionship, and guidance. It can be challenging to articulate such an intangible loss; however, an experienced attorney can establish this type of non-economic damage to obtain fair compensation for survivors.
- Mental Anguish: Survivors undergo significant mental anguish and emotional distress due to a close relative’s death.
- Punitive Damages: When a loved one has been killed in a pedestrian accident caused by a negligent driver, survivors may seek punitive damages from the at-fault party as a way of punishing them for their egregious conduct. Punitive damages serve the purpose of only seeking to deter future poor conduct.
Comparative Fault in Pedestrian Accident Cases
The unfortunate reality is that many insurance companies and negligent parties attempt to avoid financial liability for fatal pedestrian accidents by shifting blame for the incident. In California, this is known as comparative fault.
An experienced wrongful death lawyer in Fresno will know the best way to overcome comparative negligence claims to prevent any attempts by insurers of lowering or denying compensation to surviving family members. For details on how to find the best attorney to handle your wrongful death case, watch the video below.
How Our Law Firm Helps Families with Wrongful Death Cases
When a family hires our law firm to represent them, our lawyers will take the time to get to know them and get a full picture of the wrongful death case. Our legal team will assess the situation, determine potentially negligent parties, devise a strategy, and identify all potential sources of recovery.
Our law firm will compile, preserve, and present as much compelling evidence as possible. This may include traffic incident reports, statements from witnesses, expert witness testimony, medical bills and records, and other items to help prove the case. With such evidence in hand, we will work with insurance companies to obtain a fair wrongful death settlement.
In some cases, it is possible that our lawyers are unable to reach a mutual settlement agreement that takes into account what our clients rightfully deserve. We will ensure all filing deadlines are met in the case and take it to trial, if necessary. Having an experienced team of attorneys on your side is essential to protecting your best interests from difficult insurance companies looking to take advantage of you and your family in your time of loss and grief. To get started, contact our law firm today for a free consultation and learn how we can help.
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Fresno
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno wrongful death lawyer. A wrongful death case can hold negligent parties liable for the tragic death of a close relative and provide survivors a sense of closure and justice. At our law firm, our lawyers are prepared to explain the legal process to surviving family members and listen to their stories with compassion. We have handled wrongful death claims since 1982 and have the experience, skills, and resources needed to obtain justice and compensation. To learn more about how we can help, contact us at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400. We are available anytime to review your potential claim and provide compassionate, free, and friendly advice.
Learn more about our law firm by going to the links below:
We are proud to be listed as California members of the following legal organizations:
Image Credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/two-red-roses-grey-marble-4219904/
:ds llo [cs 1012]