Sacramento Trailer Fire Causes Fatality in Homeless Encampment
A trailer fire at a Sacramento homeless camp caused the death of one woman on March 20. The fire was reported on Roseville Road, close to Tri Stations Road, at around 7:00 a.m. That location is underneath the overpass for I-80.
Fire Department Conducting Investigation Into Cause of Trailer Fire
According to Justin Sylvia, Captain of the Sacramento Fire Department, the trailer was engulfed in flames, and nearby trailers sustained minor damage. Although Metro fire crews arrived at the scene first, the accident was within the city limits of Sacramento. The Fire Department is investigating the fire to determine its cause. The identity of the deceased woman will not be released by the Sacramento County Coroner’s office until the family has received notification.
Common Causes of Motorhome Fires
Travel trailer fires can have several causes, some of which are more common than others. Some of the causes of a fire include the following:
- Electrical fires are one of the most common causes of motorhome fires and are usually caused by faulty wiring or overloaded circuits.
- Corroded wires, short circuits and arcing can also spark a fire in a travel trailer.
- Gas leaks or faulty appliances such as water heaters, furnaces and stoves.
- Unattended candles, smoking materials and flammable liquids can also cause a travel trailer fire.
- Heating appliances such as space heaters, which can stress the electrical system, can result in a motorhome fire.
- A propane leak can lead to a fire, especially in the refrigerator.
If a defect in a product caused the fire and subsequent fatality, a product liability claim may be placed against the part maker, manufacturer and others included in the production line.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in California
When a fatality accident occurs, immediate family members may file a wrongful death claim. Families include the deceased’s spouse and children, regardless of whether they are natural or adopted. Also eligible for filing are children whose deceased stepparent provided for them at least half of their needs. The estate administrator may file instead. However, only one claim is allowed. In the absence of immediate family members, the deceased’s siblings and parents can file.
Recoverable Damages in a Wrongful Death Claim
A case involving a fatality accident can be valued according to a variety of factors, including the decedent’s age, income, and other considerations. There is, however, the possibility of receiving the following compensation for the family:
- Funeral and burial expenses associated with a decedent’s passing
- In addition to wages, benefits can also be recovered in the period leading up to the deceased’s retirement
- Surviving spouses may recover loss of consortium, affection and love
- It may be possible for children in the family to recover the loss of nurturing and guidance
- Household assistance can be claimed as compensation in the event of a loss
- Loss of inheritance can sometimes be recovered
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith. I’m a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. If your loved one dies as a result of another’s negligence or a defective product, you may be able to recover compensation. Our accident attorneys are available for free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400. One of our accident attorneys can answer your questions, examine your case and show you how to recover compensation. Alternatively, you can call us at (800) 404-5400 or send an online message to reach us.
Here are some examples of how our injury lawyers have helped others:
:cd llo