What You Need to Know to Avoid Dog Bites in West Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a West Sacramento dog bite lawyer. A recent report by State Farm Insurance lists California as the number one state in the country in the number of dog bites. According to their records, there were 488 claims made for dog bites in California in 2017. Those claims resulted in a payout of $18.7 million. Let’s look at how to avoid dog bites, what to do after a dog bite and the types of injuries dog bites inflict.
Avoid the Risk of a Dog Bite
Although any dog can bite, there are certain clues that tell someone to keep their distance for safety’s sake:
- Don’t bother a dog if it is eating. Dogs can be protective of their food and water bowls, particularly when they are eating.
- The dog has puppies and appears anxious when you get near them.
- Barking and growling are prime indicators that you should keep your distance from a dog.
- A dog that is injured or ill can snap out of pain and fear.
- The dog is yawning or has its ears back.
- A dog that is standing stiffly or staring at you is challenging you. This could turn into a situation where the dog bites.
- A dog has its tail tucked down instead of waving it in a friendly gesture.
- Never try to pet a dog without the permission of the owner. Some people use color-coded leashes, collars or ribbons to warn others not to approach their pet. Green means the dog is friendly. Blue means the dog is a service animal or in training, so do not approach this dog. Red or light yellow means that the dog should not be approached.
What to Do if You or Your Loved One Is Bitten by a Dog
According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, there are certain actions you should perform if you or a loved one gets bitten.
- If the dog is with its owner, get contact information, along with the owner’s name, and ask for proof that the animal has been vaccinated for rabies.
- If a wound isn’t too serious, wash it well with soapy water as quickly as possible.
- If the wound is serious, go to the emergency room. If it isn’t, head to your doctor’s office.
- Phone the veterinarian for the dog to make sure the animal has received its vaccinations. This can help avoid painful rabies shots.
Types of Injuries Caused by a Dog Bite
Although many types of severe injuries may occur due to a dog bite, the following are common:
- Infections from dog bites are commonly Pasteurella (50 percent), streptococcus (46 percent), Staphylococcus (46 percent), Neisseria (32 percent) and Corynebacterium (12 percent), according to a report by the National Institutes of Health.
- Torn tendons and ligaments may affect future use of the muscle and leave scarring.
- Crush injuries are due to the way a dog bites down, inflicting pressure on the wound, which causes more damage.
- Traumatic brain injury happens when a dog attacks a human’s head and bites down with force.
- Abdominal trauma may include internal bleeding or organ damage.
- Bone fractures are more common in attacks by larger dogs. However, this can depend on the age and size of the individual who is attacked.
- Nerve damage can cause numbness in the affected area and influence the ability to use that portion of the body.
- Scarring and disfigurement are common in more severe dog bites and may require cosmetic surgery to repair.
West Sacramento Dog Bite Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a West Sacramento dog bite lawyer. Dog bites can result in severe injuries as well as the risk of complications from an infection. If you or your loved one was bitten by a dog, an experienced lawyer can advise you about your rights and ability to be compensated. For free, friendly advice, give me a call at (916) 921-6400 or through my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400. If you prefer, I also have a contact form on my website.
For more than 36 years, I’ve helped West Sacramento residents and many others from Northern California in obtaining the compensation they need and deserve, including with all types of car accidents and in cases of wrongful death.
As a milliondollaradvocates.com forum member, I join a nationwide group of top trial lawyers who have won a verdict or settlement in excess of one million dollars for a client.
To find more information about my law practice and what others have had to say, along with a list of some of our prior cases, please visit:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/animal-dog-pet-race-dog-snout-1787835/
:cd llo [cs 782] cv