Accident on I-80 Involves Fleeing Motorist
A West Sacramento hit-and-run left one person with injuries on May 9. The collision occurred along eastbound I-80 at the Reed Avenue off-ramp around 5:47 p.m. When officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) arrived, they discovered a van pulled over to the right-hand side of the road as well as a Honda Civic.
Fleeing Motorist Sought in Hit-and-Run Accident
First responders with the Yolo County Fire Department arrived at the scene to assess injuries. No information was released on the severity of those who were injured. An inquiry was sent out by police to West Sacramento and Davis to ask if they had received a report of an assault involving a vehicle. The CHP is seeking the driver who fled the scene.
Using Your Insurance to Pay for Your Accident Injuries
When motorists in California get car insurance, they are always offered an add-on policy to cover uninsured/underinsured drivers. A large number of drivers do take this add-on coverage due to the high number of motorists who either have no car insurance or who are underinsured. It provides coverage whether you are in a vehicle, on foot or riding a bicycle.
You can use this insurance to recover your medical expenses and lost wages up to the limit of your policy if the other driver cannot be found. If you did not elect to take this add-on coverage but an immediate family member did, theirs can be used and won’t affect the policy rate in the future.
Hit-and-Run Drivers and Why They Do It
There are many reasons why a driver would strike another vehicle and flee the scene. Some of them include:
- The driver of the vehicle has no insurance or license or they have lapsed.
- The driver stole the vehicle he/she was driving.
- The motorist has been drinking or using drugs and doesn’t want to get caught by authorities.
- There are illegal items in the vehicle, such as drugs or weapons.
- The driver simply panics and flees.
- There are outstanding warrants for the driver.
Finding the Hit-and-Run Driver
Our law firm has a good record of success locating a fleeing driver. We investigate the accident to do so. Some of our methods of investigation include:
- Our investigators photograph the hit-and-run accident scene and look for clues to identify the vehicle, such as dropped metal pieces and paint.
- Surveillance cameras are checked to find out if the accident was captured on film.
- The investigators review the police report to ensure it is accurate.
- Anyone who saw the accident as it occurred is interviewed.
- Accident reconstruction is performed.
You Can Get the Help You Need from a Car Accident Lawyer
A car accident lawyer can help you get the compensation you deserve if you have been injured by another driver or entity. You have the right to recover your medical costs, wages you lost and be reimbursed for your pain and suffering. It is difficult enough to suffer an injury and have to go through the pain and recovery period. You should never have to face the financial burden because of someone else’s negligence.
West Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a West Sacramento personal injury lawyer. When a negligent driver causes your accident injuries, call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice about whether you can file a claim to recover compensation. You can also reach us online. We can arrange a virtual or in-person consultation to go over your case and tell you about ways you can recover damages to cover your medical bills and other losses.
Visit the following links to find out how our injury lawyers have helped others:
Our membership in the following organizations is an honor and a privilege:
:cd llo