Watt Ave. Collision in Sacramento After Driver Runs Red Light
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento auto accident attorney. A mid-morning collision on August 10 between two vehicles on Watt Avenue in North Sacramento resulted in injuries after one of the cars ran a red light. According to a representative of the California Highway Patrol (CHP), injuries were reported in the collision and paramedics were called to assess those who were hurt. It is unknown at this time whether the injured persons were treated at the scene or transported for further evaluation to a nearby hospital.
The collision occurred between two Hondas at the intersection of Watt Avenue and I Street shortly after 10:00 in the morning, blocking the southbound lanes along Watt. It was reported by the CHP that airbags did deploy in at least one of the vehicles. Tow trucks had to be called in to remove the vehicles involved in the collision. A caller to the CHP reported seeing one of the vehicles run a red light at the intersection and strike the other car.
Ignoring traffic laws is a major cause of collisions, especially at intersections, where 40 percent of all accidents happen. Younger and older drivers are at the highest risk for a collision at an intersection. This may be due to inexperience with younger drivers and slower reflexes and other forms of driver fragility on the part of older ones. However, the highest risk of fatalities was found to be among drivers aged 20 to 24. Sacramento intersections are no exception. Intersections are dangerous locations not only for motorcycle riders and motorists but for bicyclists and pedestrians as well.
Some of the things that intersections crashes have in common are:
- Most intersection collisions occur at four-way stops, while the next highest number occur at T-intersections.
- Undivided, two-way roads with unprotected medians are where most intersection accidents happen.
- Intersection accidents are much more likely to happen during daylight hours at 61.4 percent.
- Most intersections where accidents occur (65 percent) have only two lanes, followed by four-lane intersections (18 percent).
- Intersections with traffic controls of some type such as signs or signals happen at 57.6 percent.
- Intersection accidents occur most often in urban settings with 43 percent of the collisions, followed by rural areas with 21.3 percent.
- A higher speed limit of 50+ mph is in 40.1 percent of the areas where intersection collisions happen. The speed limit is 30 to 45 mph in 29.2 percent of the intersections where accidents happen.
Why Intersection Accidents Occur
Driver error is generally responsible for intersection crashes as it is with all types of car accidents. Some of the reasons include:
- Not keeping an eye on the rest of the traffic causes about 44 percent of all intersection accidents.
- Making a bad decision causes 10 percent of intersection crashes. Bad decisions mean that the driver made a wrong assumption about another motorist’s intent or actions.
- Obstructed views cause 8 percent of the accidents in intersections. These may include other vehicles, overgrown foliage or blocked signs.
- Making an illegal maneuver such as running a traffic light or taking an illegal turn accounts for 7 percent of intersection collisions.
- Distracted driving accounts for 5 percent of the crashes that happen in intersections. These actions can include texting or talking on a phone, eating or drinking, changing a radio station or other acts.
- Misjudging another vehicle’s speed is responsible for 6 percent of all intersection crashes.
Sacramento Auto Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento auto accident attorney. Intersection accidents caused by a negligent driver are all too common and can result in severe injuries. If this happened to you or to someone you love, an experienced injury lawyer can help you get fair compensation to pay those mounting medical bills and for your lost time away from work. Call me at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice in the Sacramento area or at (800) 404-5400, which is my toll-free number.
I belong to Million Dollar Advocates as a member from California. This forum was formed for top trial lawyers around the country who have obtained a settlement or verdict for a client in excess of $1 million.
Learn more about my law firm by checking out some of our previous cases and what clients have had to say at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/traffic-lights-red-stop-242323/
:cd llo [cs 745] cv