Rollover Accident on 18th Street Causes Injuries
A multi-vehicle accident causing a rollover occurred in downtown Sacramento recently. The accident happened around 10:00 in the morning at 18th Street and Capitol Avenue. When officers with the Sacramento Police Department and first responders with the fire department arrived, they discovered a vehicle resting on its roof.
Two people were inside and were extricated by the firemen and taken to a nearby hospital. The extent of their injuries was not released.
Parked Cars Struck in Sacramento Rollover Accident
The other vehicles involved in the collision were parked and unoccupied at the time the incident occurred. Sacramento police are notifying the owners of the accident. The police report did not state whether alcohol or drug use contributed to the crash.
Causes of a Rollover
Rollovers can occur for a number of reasons, and some vehicles are more likely to roll than others. Light trucks, SUVs, and vans are more apt to experience a rollover because they have a higher center of gravity. Some of the causes of rollovers include:
- A traffic collision is a major cause of a rollover, especially if the vehicle is struck from the side or strikes another car or truck at high speed.
- Road conditions can cause a rollover from debris and fissures in the pavement to uneven, soft shoulders.
- Losing control of the vehicle can cause rollovers. This may be due to driver error such as texting, speeding or striking a curb.
- Multiple-vehicle crashes can result in a rollover if the vehicle exits the roadway or strikes another vehicle or guardrail.
The Dangers of Roof Crush in a Rollover
Roof crush occurs in some rollover accidents and can cause more serious injuries. Traumatic brain injuries and trauma to the spine are more likely to occur because of the roof’s sudden collapse. Manufacturers are required to ensure that the roof’s supporting structure is able to handle 2 ½ times the weight of the vehicle. However, this is a minimum standard. To save money and time during vehicle production, the manufacturers sometimes do not comply with this standard.
Because the vehicle, including the roof strength, has to be checked following a traffic accident, it is essential to preserve the car or truck. This way, the investigators can examine the vehicle to see if the roof or other parts are defective. If so, a product liability claim may be placed against the manufacturer, vehicle designer and others.
Rollover Accident Investigations
- Witnesses to the accident are interviewed to understand what they saw. Those who corroborate how the accident happened may be called to testify if the case goes to court.
- The police report is reviewed to ensure its accuracy.
- If traffic surveillance cameras are present in the area, they are checked to see if the rollover was captured on tape.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which indicates how the collision occurred and can help determine liability.
- The vehicle is checked to determine if defects are present, including checking the roof for supporting infrastructure if roof crush occurs.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. When negligence causes accident injuries, I have free and friendly advice to offer at (916) 921-6400 or long-distance at (800) 404-5400. You also have the option of filling out the online form, and I will contact you as soon as I’m free.
During my 38+ years as an injury lawyer, I’ve assisted numerous Sacramentans in obtaining the compensation they deserve for traffic collisions and cases that involve wrongful deaths and traumas such as brain injuries.
I am proud to be a member of:
Learn about my law firm to see if I can help you at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/accident-auto-damage-vehicle-1409012/
:cd llo [cs 658]