Two Killed in Collision on Northbound Highway 99
A collision on northbound Highway 99 in the vicinity of Catlett Road resulted in injuries to two people and the death of two others on August 23. The accident involved a Ford-250 that was headed north on Highway 99 and a Chevrolet Malibu. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the Ford hit the Malibu as it entered the highway from the Catlett Road entrance. After the pickup truck hit the driver’s side of the Malibu, it rolled over. Both the Malibu and the Ford-250 ended up in the vicinity of the median. The occupants of the Ford-250 suffered multiple injuries and were transported to the Davis Medical Center in Sacramento. The two occupants of the Malibu were both killed in the crash. An investigation into the accident is underway. There has been no indication that drugs or alcohol were involved in the Highway 99 collision at the time of this report.
What a Lawyer Can Do
In a highway collision, it is vital that evidence is gathered as soon as possible after the crash. We dispatch our investigative team to the accident site to determine the reason the accident occurred, who was at fault and whether extenuating circumstances such as driver impairment was involved. Our investigators review police reports to check for accuracy and scour the area for evidence that will be useful in proving negligence. We interview witnesses who visualized the accident and obtain their version of what happened. We also obtain video footage that captured the collision digitally from both highway traffic cameras and those taken by civilians near the collision site, if appropriate. Once this data is amassed, our investigators turn it over to our legal team to structure a strong case for the injured party. This can be used in negotiations with the insurance company or presented in civil court.
Grieving After an Unexpected Death
No one is ready to face the loss of a loved one in a sudden and fatal collision. When it happens, the family experiences layers of emotion. Initially, there is the shock and anger the family feels over someone taking the person’s life due to a reckless and negligent act. This is most common in a car accident. While everyone faces grief in their own way, there are a few things you can do:
- Take care of your needs: Remember that others depend on you. It is normal to avoid even the basic needs we all have. However, to remain strong, recognize that you need to eat and sleep as well as you can. It is helpful when family members join together in watching over each other.
- Don’t keep your feelings bottled up: It is important to acknowledge your emotions after a sudden death. They may include disbelief that it happened, anger that someone could be so reckless and the overwhelming sadness you may feel.
- Work with other family members: Others are feeling the same sense of loss you are. Helping them to grieve assists them in dealing with their pain. It may also help you.
- Remember the good times: We all tend to get mired in the pain we feel after a person’s unexpected death. However, there is more we can remember. Try to pay attention to the love and happiness you shared.
- Consider a wrongful death lawsuit: Sometimes, you can get justice against the negligent party by filing a wrongful death claim. While it does not technically punish them, it does help you make sure that the work the decedent did to provide for their family is protected.
Watch the following video by Ed Smith talking about a wrongful death:
What a Wrongful Death Claim Means
An unexpected death in the family can be devastating for everyone. The sense of grief that the family members feel is compounded by financial worries due to the loss of monetary support the decedent provided. At times like this, it is hard enough to pay attention to deal with daily needs. A wrongful death lawyer can help. Depending on the circumstances, a claim can be filed against the at-fault driver. The claim can help the family recover not just the end-of-life expenses but also the loss of financial support due to the death of the provider. It is also possible to file for loss of consortium.
Yuba City Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Yuba City car accident lawyer. After a wrongful death, the family needs to turn to an experienced attorney. I can help you in this difficult time. You can phone me at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for compassionate, free and friendly advice. You can also contact me online. I’ve helped those in Northern California in the last 37 years obtain compensation in all types of car accidents and traumatic injuries in addition to wrongful deaths.
I am pleased to be a member of the following organizations:
Please visit the following pages to learn about my practice:
Photo Attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-lg0clbRM; https://pixabay.com/photos/highway-rescue-alley-jam-auto-3386978/
:cd llo [cs 871]