Two Killed After Truck Crash in Fresno County
Two parties were killed in a fiery truck crash near Caruthers in Fresno County on the early morning of Monday, August 31, 2020. The fatality incident occurred around 6:30 a.m. as a driver of a Chevrolet pickup truck was traveling northbound on Jameson Avenue approaching Kamm Avenue. At the same time, a driver of a big rig was headed westbound on Kamm Avenue. For unknown reasons, the Chevrolet crashed into the rear axle of the semi-truck and caught fire. Sadly, the driver and passenger of the Chevrolet both passed away at the scene of the truck accident. The identities of the decedents will be released by the Fresno County Coroner’s Office once their family members have been notified.
Loss of a Loved One in a Fatal Truck Accident
A fatal truck accident caused by a negligent driver has taken the life of a loved one. Now your member of your family is no longer in your life because someone else was driving while texting, fatigued, intoxicated, or recklessly. At our law firm, our Fresno personal injury attorneys can hold at-fault parties financially accountable for their negligent or careless actions through a wrongful death claim.
In California, you can file a lawsuit if you are the spouse, domestic partner, or child of a loved one who was killed in a wrongful death truck accident. If you are the parent, stepchild, putative spouse, or child of the decedent’s putative spouse, you may also be able to file under specific circumstances. This is by the California Code of Civil Procedure Section 377.60.
What Damages Can Be Claimed in a Wrongful Death Case?
There are two types of damages survivors can recover in a wrongful death claim: economic and non-economic. These include:
- Expenses related to a loved one’s funeral and burial services
- Final medical costs connected to the fatal truck accident and a family member’s wrongful death (these may be recovered through a survival action)
- Loss of inheritance, benefits, and future financial support the deceased would have provided if not for their unexpected death
- Lost companionship, protection, care, guidance, training, and advice from the close relative
- Mental anguish caused as a result of a loved one’s wrongful death
- Punitive damages may be sought by an accident attorney and awarded by a jury in cases involving egregious conduct
- The value of household services the loved one would have provided to the family if not for the wrongful death trucking accident
Economic damages are relatively straightforward to value as they can be calculated and proven through evidence and documentation. However, the same cannot be said for non-economic damages as they are subjective and differ in value from case to case. To ensure you and your family are fairly compensated for your loss, it is essential to work with an experienced Fresno wrongful death lawyer. For details on what to look for in a reputable attorney to handle your case, watch this video.
Who Can Be Sued in a Wrongful Death Truck Crash in Fresno County?
When a close relative was killed in a motor vehicle accident involving a commercial truck, the family of the decedent may have the grounds for a wrongful death claim. Our Fresno County, CA personal injury lawyers can help you and your family file a wrongful death lawsuit against all negligent parties and entities who are liable for the loss of your loved one. This may include one or more of the following parties:
- The truck driver whose negligent or reckless actions caused the big rig collision
- The owner of the truck trailer or cab
- The truck firm that had authority over the trucker at the time of the semi-truck crash
- Maintenance and service shops that failed to provide proper service to the commercial truck
- The manufacturer of the big rig if the trailer hitch, tires, steering system, brakes, or other parts of the vehicle failed
How Our Wrongful Death Law Firm Can Help Your Family
Our personal injury law firm believes families should focus on recovering from their loss instead of dealing with insurance companies, paperwork, and filing deadlines. This is why we offer our legal services under a contingency fee arrangement, which means you will not owe us any attorneys’ fees unless we win your wrongful death case. Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you and your family through this difficult time.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Fresno
I’m Ed Smith, a Fresno personal injury lawyer. Did you lose someone you love in a fatal big rig crash? You and your family may have many questions on how to move forward in your situation. At our law firm, we have helped many families like yours obtain justice and fair compensation in wrongful death cases against passenger vehicle drivers, truckers, trucking firms, and others after a fatal incident. Contact us today to set up a consultation for free, friendly legal advice at (559) 377-7676 or (800) 404-5400.
See our selection of past case results and client comments at:
Image Credit: https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-red-rose-candlelight-rose-2288531/
:ds llo [cs 882]