Two Injured in Car Accident Near Merced
Two people were injured in a car accident near Merced on the afternoon of May 30, 2019. The car wreck involved five vehicles and occurred at the intersection of Loughborough Drive and West Olive Avenue. According to a preliminary report by the Merced Police Department, a car was headed eastbound along West Olive Avenue when it rear-ended another vehicle stopped for a red light at the intersection. The impact of the collision propelled the second car into the path of oncoming traffic, causing other motorists to crash into it. Officials said two of the drivers involved in the intersection accident were transported to the hospital for treatment of unspecified injuries. An update regarding the conditions of the two motorists injured in the collision has not yet been released by authorities.
Why Do Many Accidents Happen at Intersections?
Intersection accidents often occur in cities like Merced with many business streets. They are commonly caused by:
- Driver fatigue due to long hours behind the wheel or use of alcohol or illicit drugs
- Failure to yield the right of way at turns
- Lack of intersection maintenance such as malfunctioning street lights or insufficient signage
- Making a turn despite having an obstructed view
- Misjudging the speed and distance of an oncoming vehicle
- Switching lanes without yielding to other cars, pedestrians, or cyclists
Common Injuries in an Intersection Crash
While there is a wide array of injuries that can be sustained in an intersection collision, there are some that are commonly suffered. They occur due to the physical impact that is released in a crash. Among the most common car accident injuries include:
- Back damage such as herniated discs, lumbar injuries, bulging discs, thoracic injuries, and spinal cord trauma
- Head trauma like traumatic brain injuries and concussions
- Internal injuries including trauma to the abdomen, internal bleeding, and punctured or collapsed lungs
- Neck injuries such as nerve damage and cervical sprain
What Damages Can I Recover in an Intersection Collision?
- Disfigurement: Some accident injuries may leave a person permanently disfigured or scarred. In these cases, an injured individual may recover the costs of cosmetic surgery to repair the scarring. Moreover, the embarrassment, humiliation, or loss of employment opportunities associated with the disfigurement may also be claimed.
- Loss of Consortium: A personal injury can sometimes cause damage to the marital relationship. In these cases, an uninjured spouse may place a claim for loss of consortium for the loss of care, affection, love, and society as well as the loss of enjoyment of sexual relations.
- Lost Wages: When an injured party is unable to work, whether temporarily or permanently, they may be able to claim damages for their time away from work or loss of earning capacity. An experienced Merced accident attorney can help hire a network of experts for use in calculating future wage loss.
- Medical Expenses: This includes the costs of medical diagnostics and treatments, including ambulance fees, hospital bills, costs of surgery, and rehabilitation. Occupational therapy may be recovered in some cases if directly related to the crash.
- Pain and Suffering: This noneconomic damage is specific and subjective for each case. The amount of compensation awarded for pain and suffering will depend upon the nature and extent of injuries suffered.
Watch the below video for details on how a personal injury claim may be affected by specific factors.
How a Merced Accident Lawyer Can Help
Being involved in a traffic collision can be complicated, especially when dealing with insurance companies and recovering from your injuries. Insurance adjusters often ask injured parties to make recorded statements and sign release forms shortly after a crash. This is their way of minimizing their payout for a personal injury claim or denying one altogether. Whenever a person is injured in a car wreck, they should avoid talking to the at-fault party’s insurer until they speak with an experienced Merced injury attorney. An injury lawyer can advise an injured person of their legal options and decide the best way to proceed with their case.
Personal Injury Lawyer in Merced
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced personal injury lawyer. Injuries in a car accident can be devastating for the driver, passengers, or others involved. If this has happened to you or a loved one, please call me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Take a brief moment to browse feedback by our former clients and peers at:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates and the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Membership of the first forum is based on obtaining $1 million or more for a client through a case settlement or verdict. The other group is comprised of those attorneys who are dedicated to providing their clients with legal excellence.
To browse a selection of our past case results, go to our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image :ab / Two Injured in Car Accident Near Merced
:ds llo [cs 837]