Accident at Manzanita Avenue Injures Person in Wheelchair
A traffic collision involving an individual in a wheelchair and a motor vehicle was reported in Carmichael on November 12. The accident happened just before 1:00 p.m. at the intersection of Manzanita Avenue and Casa Alegre. According to the report filed by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the wheelchair user was found down in the middle of the roadway in the number two lane.
Injured Party Transported to Hospital Following Traffic Collision
Sac Metro Fire District first responders transported the injured party to Mercy San Juan Medical Center, and the roadway was cleared around 1:14 p.m. The traffic collision is under investigation by authorities to determine how it occurred and to place fault.
Wheelchair Users Face Much Higher Risk in a Traffic Collision
Wheelchair users face a much higher risk of fatalities than other pedestrians, according to a study conducted by the medical journal, BMJ Open. During a six-year period, 528 people in wheelchairs died in collisions involving a motor vehicle. This means that an individual confined to a wheelchair faces a risk of dying in a collision with a motor vehicle that is 36 times above that of others in the population. Other statistics include:
- Men in wheelchairs from ages 50 to 64 were at the highest risk of dying in a traffic collision with a motor vehicle.
- Four out of every 10 accidents involving wheelchairs occurred in areas where there was no crosswalk or traffic controls.
- Fifty percent of fatal accidents between wheelchair users and motor vehicles happened in intersections.
- Failure to yield by the driver contributed to a high number of accidents involving a wheelchair user.
- Visibility problems with the wheelchair user accounted for 15 percent of all collisions.
How an Injury Lawyer Can Help
Additional injuries to those who are already disabled can be devastating and permanently alter their way of life. In addition, the at-fault party and their insurance company will often try to underplay those injuries and claim that the trauma was due to a preexisting condition. We don’t let this happen. By having your medical records reviewed by an expert witness, we can counter any of those arguments to obtain fair compensation for your injuries. Other areas where evidence is compiled to support your case include:
- Our investigative team heads to the site of the traffic collision right away to gather the evidence before it disappears or is covered over.
- The police report is reviewed to ensure its accuracy because errors can affect the client’s ability to recover damages.
- Area traffic cameras are examined to see if the collision was caught on tape. Those video records can be subpoenaed to help prove the claim.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which indicates how the traffic collision occurred and points toward which party was at fault.
- Witnesses of the accident are interviewed to get their take on how it happened. In some cases, a witness actually filmed the accident as it happened on their cell phone.
Once all the evidence has been gathered, our injury lawyers use it to build a case that supports our client’s claim for compensation.
Carmichael Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Carmichael personal injury lawyer. Being injured in a collision with a motor vehicle can bring with it high medical expenses, lost time at work and pain and suffering. If this happened to you, you might be able to file a claim to recover compensation. Get in touch with us for our free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400. You can also reach us at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us a message online.
We are honored to belong to the groups that follow:
My legal team and I have helped injured people and grieving families get the compensation that they deserve since 1982 for all varieties of traffic accidents, product liability claims, truck collisions, wrongful deaths, and more.
Information about how the injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com have helped others is located at the links that follow:
:cd llo