Intersection Accident in Lemon Hill Section of Sacramento
Major injuries resulted after a traffic collision at the intersection of 47th Avenue and 46th Street in the Lemon Hill section of Sacramento on June 23. According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the accident happened at about 12:40 in the afternoon. Reports indicate that the two-vehicle traffic collision blocked the roadway, and a tow truck with a flatbed was needed to remove one of the vehicles.
The injured party was sent to a local hospital for evaluation and treatment. Authorities have not provided information about the condition of the injured individual at this time. The CHP has not yet said whether alcohol or drugs were involved in the crash.
Intersections are dangerous and complex areas, and many accidents commonly occur there. About 40 percent of all accidents happen in an intersection, and there are approximately 2.5 million intersection traffic collisions every year. Overall, one-half of all serious accidents occur in intersections, and one-fifth involve a fatality.
Reasons Why a Traffic Collision at an Intersection Happens
A traffic collision in an intersection is the result of many factors. Some of the leading reasons are listed below:
- Speeding: Driving at an unsafe speed causes many intersection accidents. There are two ways this can happen. The first involves the driver who speeds up when the traffic light turns yellow, hoping to make it through the intersection before a red signal appears. The other is the driver who fails to slow down when approaching an intersection. This driver does not take the time to assess intersection traffic and just proceeds at their own pace. In either instance, the speeding driver is unable to stop in time to avoid a traffic collision.
- Fatigued drivers: Fatigue has fast become a leading cause of traffic accidents. At an intersection, the driver may be too tired to react appropriately. Since fatigued drivers are a menace on the highways when this happens in a crowded intersection, the risk of a traffic collision is increased.
- Distracted drivers: Distraction when driving is now considered the leading cause of accidents. A driver who is focusing on something other than the road may not be aware that a traffic light has changed or that a pedestrian has entered the intersection. They may also not be cognizant of a driver who is entering the intersection or one who has stopped for a light. The latter can result in a rear-end accident.
- Drunk driving: This is one of the leading causes of traffic accidents. Drivers who are inebriated do not have the cognitive ability to make decisions involving safe practices, nor can they judge distances. This can easily lead to a fatal traffic collision.
- Poor intersection layout: Some intersection designs fail to give all drivers adequate visibility, or the lanes are poorly marked, leading to confusion. In addition, vulnerable populations such as pedestrians are unable to navigate the intersection safely. When this happens, and someone is injured because of it, the city or state can be taken to task. It is important to remember that such claims have a different time limit beyond which it is not possible to file. Your personal injury lawyer will be able to file all documents in a timely fashion.
Investigating an Intersection Traffic Collision
At our law firm, we send our investigators to the scene of the accident as soon as possible to gather evidence that could soon disappear as traffic resumes. They speak to witnesses and obtain traffic video footage from surveillance cameras on stop lights and nearby businesses. Police reports are carefully reviewed to challenge mistakes. The investigators also check the design of the intersection and see if it has been a dangerous location for motorists and pedestrians. Once the research is complete, our legal team uses it to build a robust case for our clients.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I am proud to belong to the following organizations:
Learn more about my practice using the links below:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/car-accident-broken-glass-splatter-337764/
:cd llo [cs 735]