High School Teen Injured at Beamer Street Intersection
A teenager that attends Woodland High School was hospitalized on August 24 after being injured in a traffic accident in the city. The accident occurred at the intersection of Beamer and California streets. The location of the accident is in front of Woodland High School, where the injured person is a student. The student was said to have suffered serious injuries but is in stable condition. No additional information was provided.
Operating a Motor Vehicle Near Schools in California
The California Department of Motor Vehicles warns that drivers who are within 500 to 1,000 feet of a school should keep their speed no more than 25 mph. Some schools require an even lower speed when passing through the area. When crossing guards are stationed, drivers should obey their directions. These laws are in place to protect the children, whatever their ages, from being involved in a serious traffic accident.
Driver Negligence Can Cause a Traffic Accident in a School Zone
Although drivers should always be extra cautious when going through a school zone, not all of them are. Some of the types of negligence exhibited while driving include:
- Speeding is a major problem in school zones, even when crossing guards are on duty. Impatience in going through the area can lead to a severe traffic accident. Motorists may not realize that if they are going only 20 mph, they still require 23 feet to stop. Going well under the speed limit in a school zone is a good idea to avoid striking a child.
- Distracted driving is another problem in school zones as drivers talk on their cell phones, text, or are thinking about activities they have to do that day instead of being alert to their surroundings.
- Driving drunk or while under the influence of drugs can lead to a traffic accident, especially in a school zone when children are either entering or exiting.
How Can I Prove a Negligent Driver Caused My Injuries?
An attorney can help by finding evidence that the driver was responsible for your traffic accident. Over the years, our law firm has successfully handled many of these cases involving pedestrians. We think it is especially important when pedestrians are involved because of their vulnerability. It is difficult enough to recover from a traffic accident injury without being forced to bear the financial burden too. Some of the ways in which we investigate a case include:
- We send out investigators to the site of the traffic accident right away to recover evidence before it disappears.
- Video evidence is sought by examining area surveillance cameras. If it was, we can subpoena it.
- Accident reconstruction is performed, which can indicate who was at fault. This type of evidence is accepted by insurance companies and in civil court cases.
- Witnesses are interviewed. On some occasions, a witness captured the accident on their phone.
Our lawyers use the gathered evidence to construct a case that supports our client’s claim for compensation. As always, you owe us nothing until your case has been won.
Personal Injury Attorney in Woodland
I am Ed Smith, a personal injury attorney in Woodland. Medical bills can quickly mount up when you or your loved one has suffered injuries because of a negligent driver. Get free and friendly advice at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 to see if you can place a claim for compensation. Online contact is also available. You can receive a free case review and learn how to recover compensation from one of our accident attorneys by scheduling a virtual or in-person consultation.
Among the memberships we hold are Top 1 Percent and Million Dollar Advocates.
The following links provide information on some of the cases our injury lawyers have handled and other helpful information:
Photo attribution: Image by Vladyslav Topyekha from Pixabay
:cd llo