Three Injured in Merced County Truck Accident
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced truck accident lawyer. A truck accident occurred west of Los Banos on August 17th and left a man and two teenagers with severe injuries. A 33-year-old Fresno man was driving a 2010 Volvo big rig while hauling a container trailer along Highway 152 in the vicinity of Volta Road at approximately 4:08 a.m. The trucker reportedly fell asleep while behind the wheel, causing the Volvo to drift out of the traffic lanes and into the center median. The trucker woke up and attempted to correct the big rig, however, it was too late as the big truck slid across the roadway and overturned on its left side. Emergency responders at the scene transported the truck driver via medical helicopter to the Memorial North Hospital in Modesto for treatment of major injuries. The two passengers of the big rig, identified as 14-year-old and 16-year-old males, were taken to the Valley Children’s Hospital in Madera to be treated for unknown injuries. Authorities have not yet publicly released an update on the conditions of the three parties involved in the truck accident.
According to the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the Volvo big rig was the only vehicle involved in the collision. Since the overturned truck blocked both lanes of the roadway, authorities closed down that portion of the highway for nearly three hours to clear the scene. The closure affected the traffic commute of many who take Pacheco Pass, which caused congestion from the Bay Area to the west side of Merced County.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
Driver error is a major reason for accidents caused by big trucks with 87 percent, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration. Following are some of the common causes of truck accidents:
- Driving under the influence
- Improper cargo loading
- Lack of truck maintenance
- Reckless driving
Watch YouTube Video: What Damages Could I Claim in a Trucking Accident Lawsuit? The following video discusses the financial costs that may be recovered in a trucking accident.
Recoverable Damages in a Truck Accident
Since trucks are massive vehicles, the likelihood of severe injuries leading to costly medical treatment and inability to earn wages often results. Following are some of the damages that may be recovered in a trucking accident:
- Medical costs, including present and future medical treatment required, are recoverable and may include primary physician and specialist visits, ambulance transportation, hospitalization, prescription medications, rehabilitation, and other treatment expenses.
- Loss of companionship, society, and affection may be recovered. An experienced lawyer can provide you with more information on this type of damage.
- Lost earnings may be recovered. This may also include loss of future earnings if the injury sustained in the accident causes permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering may include the psychological and emotional damages caused as a result of a truck accident. While some may experience mild complications such as sleepless nights or anxiety, others may undergo severe psychological conditions like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).
Merced Truck Accident Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Merced truck accident lawyer. When a large truck collides with a passenger vehicle, it can leave victims in the smaller car with debilitating injuries and resultant damages. If you or a loved one has experienced this, please feel free to call me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly legal advice.
Visit the following pages to see what clients have had to say about my law practice:
I am a member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum which represents the nation’s top trial attorneys who have won a case verdict or settlement worth $1 million or more for a client.
You are welcome to browse through our Verdicts and Settlements page.
:ds [cs 650] cha cv