Texting and Driving: Distracted Driving Continues
I’m Ed Smith, a Folsom Personal Injury Lawyer. When it comes to auto accidents, distracted and drunk driving continue to remain as some of the most serious problems in the country. Distracted driving has the potential to cause tremendous amounts of personal strife and property damage. Some of the dangers of distracted driving include:
- Loss of Attention: The biggest issue with distracted driving is that it removes the focus of a driver from the road to whatever is causing the distraction. If people don’t pay attention to what is going on in front of them, they may not notice if road conditions change. This can result in a serious collision.
- Hands off Steering Wheel: Some of the more severe forms of distracted driving, such as texting while driving, can lift someone’s hands from the steering wheel. This can quickly cause someone to lose control of his or her vehicle, leading to a serious accident.
Car Accident Injuries
Just as there are many causes of car accidents, there are also numerous types of medical complications and problems that can result. Some of the injuries include:
- Bone Fractures: Among the many injuries that can occur from car accidents are bone fractures. There are many different types of bone fractures, and some are more serious than others. Among the common injuries are femur fractures, which can make it difficult for someone to walk. Some of these fractures could even require surgery and a cast, making it difficult to complete daily activities.
- Brain Injuries: If someone strikes his or her head on the steering wheel or dashboard, this can lead to a traumatic brain injury. These range in severity but bleeding inside of the skull cavity can lead to a catastrophic personal injury which could result in wrongful death. It is important for these injuries to be diagnosed quickly so that they can receive treatment as rapidly as possible.
While appropriate treatment of injuries is vital, it is more important to try and prevent these injuries from occurring in the first place. A recent literature review discussed strategies for the prevention of distracted driving.
Primary Strategies: Prevention of Auto Accidents
Several different tips and tricks are central to the prevention of distracted driving. Among the most critical points are:
- Cellphone for Emergencies Only: One of the biggest culprits of distracted driving is a cellphone. Not only can these remove people’s attention from the road but they can also pull someone’s eyes off vehicles in front of them as well. People should make sure that they only use their cellphone for emergencies, keeping their full attention on what’s going on in front of them.
- No Texting While Driving: Even worse than talking on the cellphone while driving is texting while driving. This pulls their hands off of the steering wheel, dramatically increasing the chances of being involved in a crash.
- Fatigued Driving: If people drive while they’re tired, this makes them more vulnerable to being distracted while driving. Those who feel tired should pull off of the road and take a break before continuing with their trip.
Watch YouTube Video: The Grim Reality of Texting and Distracted Driving.
This video provides a closer look at the consequences of texting and driving.
Folsom Personal Injury Lawyers
I’m Ed Smith, a Folsom Personal Injury Lawyer. Distracted driving continues to persist as one of the most pressing problems facing society today. If you or a loved one has been involved in an accident due to a distracted driver, call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
I’m a proud member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum of California.
Visitors are invited to read through our verdicts and settlements cases.
Image Source: This image was located originally on Wikimedia Commons and has been printed here under version 3.0 of the CC License.
:dr cha ds [cs 660] cv