Stockton Pedestrian Safety Enforcement Operation
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury and car accident lawyer. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) has recently conducted an enforcement operation due to the increase of pedestrian accidents throughout the city of Stockton. The operation targeted various locations and focused on pedestrians and drivers that failed to yield the right-of-way or other violations. Subsequently, sixty-seven citations and seven warnings were issued, two cars were impounded and numerous citizens were informed of the significance of pedestrian safety.
The number of pedestrian injuries and deaths in traffic accidents have notably increased in recent years. In 2015, approximately 5,376 pedestrians were fatally injured in traffic accidents throughout the country. This number averaged as one pedestrian fatality every 1.6 hours. Of the 5,298 injured or killed in San Joaquin County in 2015, the last year for which comprehensive data is available, 254 were pedestrians. Approximately forty percent of pedestrian fatalities occurred at an intersection while sixty percent transpired at non-intersections. Causes contributing to these accidents were driver negligence and pedestrian violations.
Tips for Drivers
A few tips motorists need to follow for pedestrian safety include:
- Always yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian in a crosswalk
- Avoid drinking and driving as alcohol can impair your overall cognitive functions, reflexes, reaction time and decision-making skills
- Do not overtake a vehicle stopped at a crosswalk for a pedestrian
- Reduce your speed and be prepared to stop when approaching a crosswalk
- Remain vigilant at all times as a pedestrian may enter the roadway for any reason
- Obey the posted speed limit and slow down in areas where pedestrians are likely to be present
- When stopped at a crosswalk, be certain to allow sufficient space between your car and the crosswalk so other motorists can spot the pedestrian you have stopped for
Staying Safe as a Pedestrian
Below are some of the ways pedestrians can protect themselves while walking:
- Avoid walking while intoxicated
- Before crossing, pedestrians should keep an eye out for oncoming traffic, make eye contact with the motorist and make sure vehicles are yielding to avoid serious injuries
- Do not walk along pedestrian-prohibited roadways, such as freeways or limited-access highways
- Pedestrians should cross in areas where drivers expect to see them such as intersections, crosswalks or corners
- Refrain from talking on your cell phone, texting or using earbuds to listen to music as you will not hear what is going on around you
- Walk facing traffic (along the left side of the roadway) on the shoulder and maintain a safe distance from traffic
- When visibility dims during inclement conditions or at night, pedestrians should use a flashlight and wear reflective, bright-colored clothing
How a Pedestrian Accident Lawyer Can Help
Pedestrian accidents can occur when one least expects it. Even if a pedestrian believes that they were not at fault for an accident, seeking legal assistance from an experienced pedestrian accident lawyer in Stockton is crucial in securing their right to fair compensation. An experienced attorney can investigate further into the matter, guide an injured pedestrian through the process of filing a personal injury claim and help them recover damages such as medical bills, lost wages and pain and suffering.
Stockton Personal Injury and Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury and car accident lawyer. Pedestrians are particularly more at risk of injury and death than others on the roadway due to their lack of physical protection from impact. If you or someone you love has been injured in an accident caused by a negligent driver, please contact me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly case advice.
Since 1982, I have helped residents of Stockton and Northern California with obtaining fair compensation in areas from personal injury to wrongful death.
Feel free to check out ratings by my former clients at:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates, a group of top trial lawyers who’ve obtained million dollar settlements or verdicts for their clients.
To see how I resolved cases in the past for clients, visit my Verdicts and Settlements page.
Photograph Courtesy: By “8minwoo” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 707] cv