Stockton Bicycle Crash Fatality
A Stockton bicycle crash fatality occurred on the evening of January 18 along Wilson Way and Oak Street. A man was riding his bicycle in the area at around 6:00 p.m. and exited a parking lot of a nearby business. He began riding his bike across the northbound lanes of Wilson Way when he was struck by a speeding Toyota traveling without its headlights on. Sadly, the cyclist was pronounced deceased at the scene by emergency personnel. The San Joaquin County Sheriff’s Office has identified the decedent as 20-year-old Abel Rodriguez of Stockton. I would like to extend my sympathies and thoughts to those who have lost someone they love in this tragic accident.
Investigation of the Stockton Bicycle Crash Fatality
The driver of the Toyota was arrested by officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) on suspicion of multiple charges. These included driving under the influence, driving with a blood alcohol content level of .08 percent or above, and driving with a suspended license.
Common Injuries in a Bicycle Accident
A bicycle rider is likely to suffer a wide array of injuries when involved in a collision with a motor vehicle. This is due to their lack of physical protection. This can increase a cyclist’s chances of suffering injuries such as:
- Abdominal Trauma: This may affect any of the organs in the abdomen, including the intestines or liver, and cause internal bleeding.
- Bone Fractures: Broken bones may be complex or simple, causing joint problems and nerve damage.
- Cervical Sprain: Also known as “whiplash.” This is among the common injuries that can occur in a bicycle collision. This injury is sustained when the head is propelled forward and snaps back. The sudden movement can cause damage to the muscles, ligaments, and tendons in the neck.
- Chest Injuries: A collapsed or punctured lung or rib fracture may result in a bicycle accident.
- External Trauma: Lacerations, contusions, and road rash are common.
- Head Injuries: Trauma to the head is the leading cause of fatality in a bicycle crash.
- Spinal Cord Injuries: This type of injury can damage the spinal cord, ligaments, discs, or vertebrae. Injuries to the spinal cord itself can result in partial or complete paralysis in some cases.
Recovering Damages in a Wrongful Death Bicycle Accident
A bicyclist is no match for a motor vehicle. In some circumstances, these collisions can cause traumatic injuries or even death. When a loved one is lost in a bicycle accident caused by a careless or negligent driver, the family of the deceased may file a claim for wrongful death. These types of claims seek compensation for damages including:
- Any accident-related medical treatment received by the decedent before his or her passing may be claimed in a survival action
- Funeral and burial expenses
- Loss of affection, moral support, companionship, and love
- Loss of income (including past and future) for the family
- Loss of consortium, if a domestic partner or spouse is pursuing a claim
- Loss of inheritance and health insurance
- Loss of household services provided by the deceased including childcare, lawn maintenance, and more
- Mental anguished caused by the death
How a Wrongful Death Lawyer Can Help
There are many details to investigate when a fatality is involved in a bicycle accident. This can be especially difficult to handle on top of the financial and emotional stress resulting from a loved one’s wrongful death. Since the legal complexities of these cases can be challenging to navigate in times like these, consulting with a personal injury attorney in Stockton who is experienced in handling wrongful death claims can be beneficial.
Stockton Personal Injury & Wrongful Death Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury attorney. Bicycle accidents, even at low speeds, can cause serious injuries that require extended hospital stays and time away from work. In some extreme cases, these collisions can claim the life of someone you love. If you or a loved one have been injured or even killed in an accident due to the fault of another party or entity, I am here to provide you with compassionate, free and friendly advice on your situation. You can reach me anytime at (209) 227-1931 in the Stockton area or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
Read client reviews of our law firm at the following links:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates, a forum which permits membership to trial attorneys who have won $1 million and over for a client. I am also a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel, a group that promotes fewer than one percent of attorneys from around the country for their high standards of legal excellence.
Go to our Verdicts and Settlements page to see a selection of our prior cases and their resolutions.
Stockton Bicycle Crash Fatality: AutoAccident.com
Photograph Source: By “jclk8888” via Pixabay / Stockton Bicycle Crash Fatality
:ds [cs 819] cv