Steroids for Spinal Cord Injuries
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer. When it comes to a spinal cord injury, some of the complications could be permanent. Examples of possible complications that someone could sustain include:
- Permanent loss of motor function in the arms and legs.
- Chronic, shooting pain that runs down one or more limbs.
- Issues with muscle and limb coordination, pain sensation, and/or temperature differentiation.
- Problems with bowel and bladder function.
These complications can have severe impacts on not only the individuals but also their family members. Because of this, it is vital to diagnose and treat spinal cord injuries as quickly as possible. It could make a serious difference in someone’s quality of life. Recently, a study was published that explored the potential role of steroids in spinal cord injuries. The results could lead to a paradigm shift in the treatment of spinal cord injuries.
A Prospective Study: The Role of Steroids in Spinal Cord Injuries
The study, published in the medical literature, explored the use of steroids in the treatment of spinal cord injuries. The authors of the study administered steroids to people who had concern for a spinal cord injury. If the patient was later found to not have had a spinal cord injury, they were removed from the study. The individuals were given methylprednisolone, a potent steroid used in the treatment of a variety of injuries and illnesses. When compared to those who did not receive steroid injection, those who did had better outcomes. However, the steroids needed to be administered within 24 hours of the injury to yield a benefit. Benefits include a reduction in the swelling in the spinal cord, leading to less nerve damage and improved functional outcomes. Future studies should explore the type and dose of the steroid required to maximize the benefit while minimizing the side effects.
How Spinal Cord Injuries Occur
There are many different ways that someone can sustain a spinal cord injury. Examples include:
- Sports: Traumatic brain injuries and spinal cord injuries sustained during sports have received a lot of focus in recent years.
- Slip and Fall Injuries: Falls both from a great height and from a standing height can lead to a spinal cord injury.
- Auto Accidents: Auto accidents can cause a spinal cord injury which could lead to permanent complications.
Watch YouTube Video: Spinal Cord Injury: Reasons. This video explains the different ways people can sustain a spinal cord injury.
With the Assistance of a Lawyer
When someone has suffered a spinal cord injury, numerous questions likely come to mind. Some examples are:
- How did this happen to me?
- What is my recovery process going to be like?
- Am I going to be able to return to work?
- Will my health insurance company pay for my medical care?
These are challenging questions which can create a significant amount of stress for a family. When this happens, meeting with a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento can be helpful.
Personal Injury Lawyers in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer. A spinal cord injury can have devastating complications. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury, please give me a call at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly legal advice.
I am excited to be a part of the California chapter of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum.
You can see our verdicts and settlements at this site.
Image Attribution: The photo at the top is hosted on pixabay.com and has been shown here under the Creative Commons License, version CCo.
:dr cha [cs 628] cv