Florin Road Accident Occurs Between Driver and Pedestrian
A serious pedestrian injury occurred in Sacramento on January 21 when the walker was struck by a motor vehicle. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the accident happened around 7:48 in the evening along westbound Florin Road and Florin Mall Drive when the pedestrian was struck by a driver in a Dodge Challenger. Emergency responders with the Sacramento Fire Department arrived, assessed the pedestrian’s injuries, and transported their patient to a nearby hospital for treatment and additional evaluation. The vehicle of the driver was towed as evidence in the accident. The investigation into the Florin Road area accident is ongoing to determine how it happened.
Causes of a Serious Pedestrian Injury
Most pedestrian accidents are caused by drivers of motor vehicles. In many cases, the driver has been negligent in some way. Some of the ways a serious pedestrian injury is caused by an at-fault driver include:
- Reckless driving: Many accidents that involve a serious pedestrian injury are caused by reckless driving. This is a driver who is careless, who may be disobeying traffic laws and does not exhibit a duty of care toward others sharing the roadway.
- Speeding: Studies have shown that the faster a vehicle is going when it strikes a person on foot, the higher the risk of a serious pedestrian injury or fatality. When approaching a red light, a speeder may be going too fast to stop, which can have disastrous results.
- Fatigued driving: Studies also show that driving when too fatigued can be as dangerous as drunk driving. Fatigued driving may be caused by medications the motorist is taking, sleep apnea, changing shifts at work, and just staying up too late.
- Drunk or drugged driving: Despite efforts to lower the number of drunk and drugged drivers on the road, they are still a menace. The use of drugs or alcohol can affect a driver’s judgment, vision, reflexes and make them think they are proceeding just fine when they are actually weaving on the road. This can lead to a serious pedestrian jury.
- Distracted driving: Now the number one cause of roadway accidents, drivers who are texting, talking on a cell phone, reaching over to adjust a radio, and other activities where they obviously don’t have their eyes on the road. In just a few seconds, a vehicle can travel as far as the length of a football field. This type of distraction can certainly cause a serious pedestrian injury.
Investigation of a Pedestrian Injury
Gathering the evidence to support a client’s claim for compensation is important. We send our investigators to the site right away to collect that evidence, which includes checking for mistakes in the police report and talking to the witnesses. In addition, accident reconstruction is performed. It shows the before, during, and after positions of the pedestrian and the vehicle and often proves fault. This type of evidence is widely used in court and when negotiating with the insurance company.
Government negligence is found to be a factor in a serious pedestrian injury accident in some cases, so the investigators examine the location carefully. Poor lighting, overgrown shrubs, a malfunctioning walk light or traffic signal can all indicate the government wasn’t doing its job. In cases such as these, the government entity may be liable for injuries. Our injury attorneys take over once the evidence has all been gathered to construct a strong case that supports our client’s claim.
Sacramento Personal Injury Lawyer
My name is Ed Smith, and I’m a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. If you suffered harm as a pedestrian that was caused by a motorist, you may be able to collect fair compensation with the help of a personal injury lawyer. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or at the long-distance line at (800) 404-5400. You can also reach me online if you prefer.
Find helpful information about my law firm below:
It is an honor for me to belong to the associations below, among others:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/ambulance-architecture-building-business-263402/
:cd llo [cs 717]