CORONAVIRUS UPDATE: What We Are Doing to Protect Our Clients

Semi Collision in Arden-Arcade

Semi Collision in Arden-Arcade

A semi collision in Arden-Arcade on March 21 caused injuries to at least one person. The accident between the semi and a Dodge truck happened along Interstate 80, east of the West El Camino Avenue entrance ramp shortly before 5:00 p.m. A Sacramento Police Department sergeant reported it to the California Highway Patrol (CHP). It is unknown how the accident occurred between the big rig and the pickup truck. The pickup sustained heavy damage as a result of the collision. An ambulance arrived at the site, but details about the injured person are not available. The CHP is in charge of an investigation into the crash to determine how it occurred and to assign fault.

Which Trucks Cause the Most Injuries and Deaths?

A semi loaded with cargo can weigh about 40 times that of the average passenger vehicle. A mistake by the trucker can lead to catastrophic events in a semi collision. Fatalities involving big rigs rose about 9 percent in 2017. Of this number, 28 percent were truckers. The remaining 72 percent were those in passenger vehicles. About 40 percent of truckers who died were not using a seat belt when the accident occurred. Trucks weighing between 10,000 and 14,000 pounds showed the biggest gain. This is concerning for motorists, particularly in California, where transporting goods is at an all-time high.

Why Truck Accidents Happen

There are many reasons that truck accidents happen. They range from driver error, parts or maintenance failures to problems caused by government entities. Some examples of driver error include:

  • Distracted driving: This error plays a major role in truck fatalities. Truckers are on the road for long periods of time every day. The boredom of the road leads to distracted driving. So does the driver’s need to constantly check gauges and other devices.
  • Drowsy driving: Truckers are subject to sleep loss as they haul their loads around the country. Restrictions on the number of hours a trucker can drive are in place. However, truck companies demand that shipments arrive sooner rather than later, causing many semi collisions.
  • Reckless driving: Some of the major causes of semi collisions are due to reckless driving. These include speeding, changing lanes and tailgating other vehicles.
  • Falsifying records: Federal rules place restrictions on truck drivers. These include limits on the driving time that is found in the driving logs. If the truck logs are falsified, it is possible to circumvent the laws governing safe trucking.
  • Impaired driving: The use of alcohol is not as rampant with truck drivers as it is in the general population. The use of over-the-counter and prescription drugs can lead to a semi collision.

Truck Defects

There are several types of truck defects that must be considered when determining why a truck accident happened. They are:

  • Faulty maintenance: It is necessary to maintain a truck adequately. This includes checking tires for low pressure or defects. If this is not done, the trucker and his or her employer could be taken to task.
  • Cargo: The placement of cargo plays an important part in avoiding a truck accident. Improper distribution can cause a rollover. In addition, cargo must be labeled correctly. Rules for hauling dangerous items such as flammable liquids must be adhered to.
  • Manufacture and design defects: Both manufacture and design defects can cause some truck accidents. The truckers and the company they work for must constantly survey possible reports of defects.

Arden-Arcade Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyers

I’m Ed Smith, an Arden-Arcade car accident and personal injuries lawyer. A crash involving a big rig often results in serious injuries. When your accident injuries were caused by a negligent truck driver or company, you might be entitled to compensation. You can recover financial damages for lost time at work, medical bills and other expenses. My phone number in the Arden-Arcade area is (916) 921-6400 if you would like to call for my free and friendly advice. The toll-free number is (800) 404-5400. I offer a contact form at my website, AutoAccident.com that is quick and easy to use.

The National Association of Distinguished Counsel and the Million Dollar Forum are groups I belong to. The first is composed of lawyers the association feels have the highest standards of excellence. The second represents trial lawyers who have won more than one million dollars for a prior client.

Photo Attribution: Depositphotos

:cd cha [cs 755]

Contact Information