Pedestrian Dies Crossing Road Despite Warning Signs
A pedestrian fatality occurred in Sacramento early in the morning on May 23 when she was struck and killed by a passing motorist. The accident happened along Watt Avenue near Marconi when the woman attempted to cross the street despite warning signs to not do so because of a lack of a crosswalk. The California Highway Patrol (CHP), which responded to the accident call, said the driver remained at the scene and cooperated with the investigation.
Pedestrian Fatality Accident Under Investigation
One lane of Watt Avenue was blocked as the investigation into the fatal accident was conducted. The Sacramento County Coroner’s Office has not yet released the name of the deceased pedestrian pending notification of the family.
Dealing with the Death of a Loved One
It is extremely difficult and painful to lose a loved one in a wrongful death. A wrongful death claim may be the last thing a family wants to think about, but by doing so, they can hold the at-fault driver accountable. The truth is that nothing can ever replace their loved one nor will it help ease their grief, but it can help them feel a sense of justice for themselves and the person they lost.
For many years, the injury lawyers at AutoAccident.com have succeeded in obtaining compensation for many grieving families. Because we understand what you are going through, we treat your family like it was our own. We offer a free, no-obligation consultation, either in person or virtually, to review your case, answer your questions and tell you about options to recover damages by filing a wrongful death claim.
Who Can File a Claim for Pedestrian Fatality?
A wrongful death claim may be filed either by the administrator of the deceased person’s estate or by immediate family members. Only one claim can be filed. Members of the immediate family who may join together and file a wrongful death claim include the spouse or putative spouse and children, including stepchildren who obtained a minimum of half their support from the deceased. If the decedent was predeceased by one of his or her children, grandchildren may join the lawsuit. The family members can pursue damages for the following:
- Expenses associated with the funeral and burial can be reimbursed.
- The family members could recover the earnings the deceased loved one would have made while employed up until the time of their retirement age. As part of the compensation, the family receives the value of the benefits the decedent received while employed, such as a pension, health insurance, bonuses and other perks of the job. If the decedent was self-employed, tax returns, receipts and other documents may be used to support the claim.
- In the event of the demise of the spouse or putative spouse, the loss of consortium, moral support, comfort and affection may be recovered.
- The children can receive compensation for the losses they incurred as a result of the decedent’s death in terms of care, instruction, nurturing and guidance.
- Those who would have received inheritances if the decedent had lived are compensated for that loss.
- A portion of the damages can also recover compensation for the loss of household services, including childcare, vehicle maintenance and so forth.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
My name is Ed Smith. I am a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. When your family has lost a loved one because of a motorist’s negligence, you have the right to file a claim for wrongful death. Our devoted injury lawyers can be contacted at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. An online form to contact us is available also. We can arrange a virtual or in-person free consultation in which you can have your case reviewed and learn about options to recover compensation.
Belonging to the following groups is an honor for us because it shows how dedicated we are to obtaining the maximum compensation for our clients:
Click on the following links to find out how our injury lawyers have assisted others in obtaining the compensation they deserve:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo