Accident at Florin Road Intersection Kills Pedestrian
A pedestrian fatality accident happened in Sacramento on August 17 involving a motor vehicle. The collision occurred around 8:23 a.m. at the intersection of Florin Road and Stockton Boulevard. Officers with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) as well as first responders with the Sacramento Fire Department responded to the call, which involved a Ford Mustang.
Investigation Underway to Determine Cause of Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The Sacramento County Coroner arrived to declare the pedestrian deceased at the accident scene. The Mustang was towed as evidence in the incident. An investigation is underway by the CHP to discover what happened. The name of the deceased will not be released until family members are notified. The busy intersection where the crash occurred is equipped with crosswalks and traffic lights.
What Do I Do if My Loved One Died in a Traffic Accident Caused by Someone Else?
One of the first things you should do is contact a wrongful death lawyer if a negligent person or other entity costs your loved one’s life in a pedestrian fatality accident. The lawyer can investigate the case, gather evidence to support your claim and calculate what damages you can recover. In California, either the administrator of the estate or the immediate family members may file a wrongful death claim. However, both can’t, so it has to be decided which will file. Damages that can be recovered after a pedestrian fatality accident include:
- The family can recover the cost of their loved one’s funeral and burial.
- Earnings the deceased would have made until the age of retirement can be recovered, including insurance and pension benefits and the value of other perks of the job.
- The spouse that survives can recover compensation for loss of consortium, affection, and love they will no longer receive.
- The family’s children can recover compensation for their loss of nurturing and guidance. This not only includes natural and adopted children but stepchildren that received half their support from the decedent.
- Loss of inheritance is recoverable in some instances, which is the amount beneficiaries of the deceased’s will would have provided had they lived.
- The value of the loss of household services can be recovered. These services include jobs the deceased normally performed around the home such as lawn care, cooking, tax prep and others.
Driver Negligence in a Pedestrian Fatality Accident
Negligence by a motorist is responsible for about 95 percent of all accidents. Some of the following causes that lead to a pedestrian fatality are as follows:
- A driver who runs a red light or stop sign commonly causes a serious accident.
- Speeding because it becomes difficult for a driver to stop before causing a pedestrian fatality.
- Making a turn without checking for pedestrians in the crosswalk.
- Drunk driving is a common cause of a pedestrian fatality accident.
- Distracted driving due to texting or chatting on a cell phone can lead to a serious collision.
An accident attorney has the ability to determine what caused the death of your loved one. By building a strong case for compensation, the family can obtain a sense of justice and damages that can help them avoid financial stress caused by that loss.
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
I am Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer. If your loved one was struck and killed because of another person’s negligence, you may wish to place a wrongful death claim to recover compensation. Please give us a call for free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. We can be reached online also. We can arrange a free consultation for you with one of our injury lawyers, who will review your case and let you know what options to recover compensation are available going forward.
We are proud to be a member of the groups that follow: Top 1 Percent and Million Dollar Advocates.
Find out how others have been assisted in getting the compensation they deserve with the help of our injury lawyers at the following links:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo