Interstate Accident Involves Multiple Vehicles
An interstate accident occurred on March 2, involving multiple vehicles, which sent at least one person to the hospital. The accident happened at noon along Interstate 80 eastbound just west of the Madison Avenue East onramp. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that a Ford Focus had spun out and crashed into the other vehicles, which included a BMW and a Honda CR-V. Tow trucks were called to remove several of the vehicles, while others were removed from the roadway so traffic could pass. All of the eastbound lanes were reopened at 12:49 p.m. No information has yet been released on the condition of the individual who was injured. The accident is under investigation by the CHP as to cause.
Causes of Spinouts
- Driving too fast for the weather conditions: Speeding is a problem around the nation and leads to traffic accidents because the driver has less control over the vehicle. Even small amounts of rain can cause this type of interstate accident because the vehicle is less likely to find traction on the road surface. When the weather is bad, it is recommended that the driver reduce speed from the normal limit, which can lower the risk of a spinout.
- Tires: Using different brands of tires on a vehicle can increase the risk of spinout because their ability to grip the road may be different. In addition, some tire brands are better for wet pavement than others.
- Road problems: Areas in a roadway that are lower can cause a slick of water to lie there, and this can cause the driver to lose control, resulting in an interstate accident.
- Distracted driving: Distractions can lead to a spinout when the driver takes their eyes from the road.
- Drunk driving: It can be difficult to drive in bad weather conditions, but the ability to stay safe is worsened if a driver has been drinking. Poor judgment, a lessened ability to react quickly, and poorer vision can contribute to an interstate accident.
There are several things that a motorist can do to reduce their risk of a spinout. Following are some of the suggestions:
- Make sure your visibility is good: Bad windshield wipers or partially cleaned windows on a vehicle can contribute to a spinout.
- Take it easy: Be gentle with the brakes and accelerator. Hitting the accelerator hard can make the tires spin, while hard braking can cause the driver to lose control.
- Test the road first: When starting out, gently brake and accelerate to see how slippery the roads are. This can help avoid an accident.
Help Following a Traffic Accident
An interstate accident can be complex because multiple vehicles collide with each other, making it more difficult to determine who is at fault. An experienced car accident lawyer can examine police evidence and talk to witnesses and then conduct their own investigation to get to the truth and determine who was negligent. By using accident reconstruction and expert witnesses, the lawyer can prepare a case for financial compensation based on another’s negligence that will pay for lost wages, medical care, and other expenses.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. Having a motor vehicle accident is a traumatic experience, which is compounded when you have suffered injuries because of a negligent driver. If this happened to you or your family member, I can offer you my free and friendly advice. You can contact me at (916) 921-6400 or through my toll-free number at (800) 404-5400. I also offer an online form to contact me at this link.
Find out about my law practice by seeing client reviews and previous cases that we have handled at the following sites:
The National Association of Distinguished Counsel invites only lawyers they deem as upholding the highest legal standards. I’m honored to be a California member. Another group I belong to is the Million Dollar Forum that recognizes trial lawyers who’ve won more than one million dollars for a client.
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_36794425_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 737]