Run-off-Road Accident Causes Driver Fatality
A fatal crash occurred in Sacramento on January 27 when a vehicle exited the roadway and landed on the edge of the freeway below. The collision, according to the Sacramento Police Department, occurred around 2:40 a.m. along the overpass for El Camino Avenue when a minivan rolled off the top and landed on the edge of the Business 80 freeway down below. The driver of the vehicle was discovered by authorities with major injuries, and despite life-saving efforts, died at the scene.
Second Crashed Vehicle Found Abandoned
A second vehicle identified as a sedan crashed at the on-ramp entrance also. The vehicle was unoccupied. The El Camino Avenue off-ramp, as well as a portion of Business 80 westbound, were closed as an investigation was conducted by police into the cause of the fatal crash. Drivers were advised to use alternate routes and expect traffic delays.
Rollover Accidents on Off-Ramps: The Causes of a Fatal Crash
Ramps at freeway exits are frequently involved in accidents. With heavy traffic and higher speeds, leaving the highway safely and navigating a crowded ramp can be challenging, especially if there are negligent drivers around. In these ramp areas, accidents occur for a variety of reasons, including:
- A driver suddenly attempts to change lanes while on the ramp, which causes a sideswipe accident.
- In an attempt to navigate the ramp, the motorist suddenly slows down and ends up getting rear-ended.
- The ramp is not designed correctly and does not provide enough space for motorists to safely exit, resulting in a sideswipe or rear-end collision. Government agencies may be responsible when faulty designs are involved. Considering the shorter timeframe for bringing a lawsuit against the government, it may be a good idea to seek the advice of an injury lawyer. This ensures the case will be handled before the statute of limitations expires.
- Cell phone use, as well as texting, can distract drivers, causing them to drift out of their lane and cause a fatal crash.
- The driver entering the ramp area is speeding and finds it impossible to slow down in time to avoid a collision with other motorists.
What Damages Can Be Awarded by a Wrongful Death Lawsuit
In a wrongful death lawsuit, the following damages are commonly recovered:
- Pension and insurance benefits are recoverable that the decedent would have earned, as well as the wages the deceased would have made until retirement.
- A claim can be made for funeral and burial costs.
- Loss of consortium, as well as the loss of love and affection a wife or husband would have received, had their spouse lived, can be claimed.
- It is possible to recover compensation for the comfort, guidance, and nurturing that the decedent would have provided to his/her children and no longer will.
- Tax preparation and lawn care are among the household tasks the decedent may have assumed responsibility for. The cost of hiring help to do these household tasks is recoverable.
An Unexpected Death of a Loved One
In the aftermath of the death of a loved one, families are often consumed by grief. It is much more tragic when someone else’s negligence ends the life of your loved one. Oftentimes, grieving families can bring a wrongful death claim when this happens. In spite of the fact that this won’t ease their sorrow, it can help them avoid financial hardship and give them the assurance that the person or entity that caused the death will be held accountable.
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. When your loved one has died in a fatal crash caused by a negligent driver, your family may be able to place a wrongful death claim to recover compensation. Call us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for our free and friendly advice. We can answer your questions, review your case and tell you about options to recover damages. You can also contact us online.
We are honored to be members of the associations that follow:
Additional information about how our team of injury lawyers has assisted others in getting the compensation they deserve can be found at:
:cd llo