Sacramento Fatal Bridge Accident
A Sacramento bridge accident occurred on March 25th. The driver is presumed dead after his tow truck went off the bridge. The tow truck plunged into the waters of the Sacramento River from a height of over three stories. The California Highway Patrol (CHP) reported that the accident occurred between the tow truck and a semi around 8:30 p.m. It happened along Highway 50 on the Pioneer Bridge. I wish to extend my prayers and sympathy to the friends and family of the deceased in their time of sorrow and loss.
Swift Currents Hamper Recovery Crew
An attempt was made by a search crew Tuesday night to locate the vehicle after the Sacramento bridge accident. The tow truck was eventually located 30 feet or more under the water. The water conditions hampered the search crew because of swift currents. The operation has now become a recovery mission since it is not believed that the tow truck driver survived the accident. The name of that driver has yet to be released. The Drowning Accident Rescue Team of the Sacramento Fire Department used sonar to try and locate the vehicle.
Accidents on Bridges
Driver error may be at fault for an accident on a bridge. However, bridge conditions play a large part. Problems with these types of accidents involve the location itself and other factors that affect bridge travel. For example, unlike a normal roadway, bridges do not have wide shoulders. This increases the risk of a vehicle going over the side. The weather conditions can make traveling over a bridge dangerous. This is particularly true for heavy trucks.
- Rain or other inclement weather: Slippery pavement is a common cause of a bridge accident. Some problems are because the tires don’t grip the wet surface. Bridge surfaces freeze in cold weather before streets. This can trick a driver into thinking travel on the bridge is not any different than on the road surface. Many cities place signs at the entrance to the bridge. These signs warn drivers that the bridge surface may be slippery and instructs them to slow down. The absence of such signage can lead to accidents. The family of someone involved in an accident on a bridge without signage may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit.
- Poor lighting: Lighting that is inadequate can cause a bridge accident. Potholes and debris on the road can be a factor as well. A government entity is responsible for the upkeep of a bridge. Personal injury damages can be sought by an experienced lawyer if you are hurt due to lack of upkeep.
- Poor Design: Poor bridge design can lead to an accident. This can be seen when the bridge capacity is too small for traffic. Another example is the placement of toll booths. If a toll booth is at the end or entrance of a bridge, merging traffic can cause a collision. The contractor who designed or built the bridge and the city or state can be held liable.
Types of Driver Error
Some types of driver error are responsible for bridge accidents. They are:
- Speeding: Drivers often speed even though it is dangerous and a traffic infraction. Because many people are afraid of bridges, they may be more tempted to speed to get across faster.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who use their cell phones, talk to passengers or other distractions can cause a bridge accident. Driving over a bridge can be a distraction in itself. That is because people look out over the water or at boats rather than focusing on the traffic ahead.
- Fatigue: Being too tired to drive can cause a bridge accident. This is because the driver may not react fast enough to a slowdown in traffic or stoppage.
- Aggressive driving: Drivers who are aggressive have short tempers and may not be able to cope with bridge traffic. Changing lanes, tailgating, and other problems can lead to a collision.
Seeking Legal Advice in a Wrongful Death
Losing a loved one leaves a family full of grief. It also affects them financially. Talking to an experienced injury lawyer can help. The lawyer can investigate the accident to build a case for compensation to recover damages. No one should have to bear the financial brunt of a loved one’s death from negligence. Recovering damages does not ease the pain. However, it does relieve the family of the financial burden.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. Enduring a loved one’s death in a bridge accident can be difficult for family members. Not only do they have to cope with grief but also with financial loss. This involves funeral and other expenses related to the person’s death. It also relates to the sudden inability to pay the bills and for other family needs. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can reach me online too.
When you need a lawyer, learn about their practice first. You can read about mine at:
Two groups I am honored to belong to are:
- Million Dollar Advocates Forum: This forum allows membership from lawyers who have obtained more than $1 million for a client.
- National Association of Distinguished Counsel: This group is by invitation only. It recognizes fewer than 1 percent of lawyers for their legal excellence.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/photos/bench-man-back-view-sorrow-pond-889222/
:cd llo [cs 927]