Driver Runs Red Light, Leading to a Double Fatality Accident
A double fatality accident occurred in South Sacramento recently after a driver ran a red light, striking another vehicle, which was pushed into a Ford van. The accident happened at the Florin Road intersection with French Road a little after 10:15 p.m. When the driver, who was in a Toyota, ran the light, he hit a Nissan driven by a Sacramento woman, Stephanie Phan Ha, age 49. A passenger in the vehicle was Linh Phan, age 42. Both women died as a result of the collision.
Driver Arrested and Facing Multiple Charges
The driver of the van, a Las Vegas resident, age 65, had a complaint of pain following the fatality accident. The driver of the Toyota sustained minor injuries and was transported to a hospital. Authorities with the California Highway Patrol (CHP) suspect he had been using drugs at the time of the fatal accident. He was placed under arrest for suspicion of DUI causing death. He also faces additional charges of felony hit-and-run as well as gross vehicular manslaughter while under the influence.
Driver Allegedly Attempted to Escape After Fatality Accident
The man reportedly had attempted to steal a woman’s purse earlier in the morning near the intersection of French and Gerber roads, but failed. He managed to steal another vehicle near Billfish Way, which is the one where he crashed into the Nissan. Afterward, he allegedly attempted to steal another vehicle to make his escape but was apprehended by a sheriff’s deputy nearby.
Recovering Damages Through a Wrongful Death Claim
Losing a loved one is a painful experience for every family member, and they feel great grief. Families may be able to seek compensation for damages when another’s negligence caused a fatality accident. Although it won’t ease their grief, it can keep them focused on moving forward by ensuring the at-fault person is held accountable. Wrongful death claims can recover the following damages:
- The burial and funeral are recoverable costs.
- A deceased person’s wages up to the time of their retirement can be recouped. Benefits such as insurance, pensions, bonuses and others are included. Income can be established by examining documents such as employee records and tax returns if the individual was self-employed.
- In some cases, inheritance losses can be recovered.
- Recompense may be awarded to the spouse/putative spouse for losses associated with the loss of consortium and moral support provided by the decedent.
- The family’s children and also stepchildren who received at least half of their support from the deceased are entitled to file a claim for the loss of nurturing, guidance and assistance.
- A surviving spouse may be able to claim loss of household services for preparation of taxes, yardwork and other duties the decedent provided.
Sacramento Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident lawyer. When a negligent driver has caused the demise of your loved one, your family may be able to file a claim for wrongful death. Although it will not ease your pain, it can help by holding the at-fault person responsible and bring you a sense of justice for your loss. If a negligent driver caused your injuries, our injury lawyers can provide you with free and friendly advice about filing a compensation claim. If you have any questions, please contact us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400. A contact form is also available online.
We consider it an honor to belong to these groups:
You can read about how our injury attorneys have helped many Sacramentans obtain compensation by clicking on the links below:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo