Fatal Accident on Highway 99 the Second in Two Days
A pedestrian death was reported along Highway 99 on March 2 in Sacramento after attempting to cross by walking through the traffic lanes. This is the second pedestrian fatality to occur on the highway in two days. According to the report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), the accident occurred at about 10:00 p.m. near 47th Avenue in the southbound lanes.
Driver Cooperated With Investigation Into Pedestrian Fatality
The driver of the vehicle that struck the pedestrian stayed at the scene and was cooperating with investigators into the incident. Lanes going south in the area were closed while the scene was cleared and an investigation was conducted. Motorists were advised to take alternate routes.
Pedestrian Died on Same Roadway the Day Before
The accident involving the pedestrian who died the day before and was trying to cross the highway occurred near Mack Road and also happened in the southbound lanes. The identities of both pedestrians have not been released by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office yet, pending notification of the next of kin.
The Death of a Loved One
Losing a family member is difficult, but losing them because of negligence is even worse. From grief to anger, to a sense of helplessness, the family experiences a range of emotions. They also suffer financial hardship if the deceased contributed monetarily to the family. If there is inadequate financial support, burial and funeral expenses cannot be paid and household bills cannot be covered. Contacting a wrongful death attorney for a free consultation may help.
Causes of a Pedestrian Death in an Accident
Negligence is usually to blame for most accident injuries and deaths. Our job is to identify how and why the pedestrian death occurred. A grieving family can then pursue compensation through a wrongful death claim, which can help them move forward. Some forms of negligence that can lead to a pedestrian death are:
- A speeding driver collides with a pedestrian crossing the street.
- A motorist texting on their cell phone is distracted from paying attention to people on foot, and they don’t see them in time to prevent a pedestrian death.
- Because of staying up late or from working odd shifts, the driver is sleepy. The dangers of driving while fatigued are just as real as those of a drunken driver.
- A drunk driver has difficulty focusing and controlling their car’s accelerator and brakes. As a result, the driver causes a pedestrian death.
- A driver and pedestrian both think it is okay to go due to the malfunctioning crossing lights at the intersection. In these cases, the maintenance agency can be held liable for a pedestrian’s death.
Wrongful Death Lawsuits
Having a wrongful death claim filed helps save families from the financial burdens associated with their loved one’s death, but it does not remove the grief they feel. However, it can help bring them closure and a sense of justice for their loss. Wrongful death lawsuits usually cover the following costs:
- Burial and funeral expenses
- Lost earnings the deceased would have made had they lived
- Love and physical comfort that a spouse has lost
- The deceased’s children being deprived of guidance and nurturing
- Expenses associated with hiring someone to do the work the decedent normally performed
Wrongful Death Lawyer in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. When your loved one dies due to negligence by another person or entity, your family might want to discover whether they can file a wrongful death claim. For our free and friendly advice, contact us at (916) 921-6400. We can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or by sending us an online message.
You can find out how our team of injury lawyers has assisted others by reviewing the links below:
Our membership in the associations that follow helps show you our dedication to working hard for our clients:
:cd llo