Roseville Bicycle Collision
Roseville Bicycle Collision. A bicycle collision against the force and size of a motor vehicle can cause severe injuries, resulting in expensive medical bills, lost time away from work and emotional and psychological trauma. When a Roseville bicycle crash was caused by the negligence of another individual or entity, fair compensation can be recovered to pay those bills. That way, the injured bicyclist can concentrate on getting well without financial worry about those extra bills.
Injuries Commonly Suffered in a Roseville Bicycle Collision
Although any type of injury may happen after a collision with a car or truck or because of a pothole or other means, the following types of injuries are more common:
- Traumatic brain injury: Although those who wear bicycle helmets in Roseville are less likely to suffer a TBI than those who don’t, this type of injury can still occur if the force of the impact is severe enough. Injuries may range from a concussion to hemorrhage or diffuse axonal damage, which leaves the brain severely impaired. Some individuals with TBIs require lifelong care and are left in a vegetative state.
- Eye injury: These types of injuries may cause fractures of the eye socket or damage to the eye itself. The prognosis depends on the type and extent of damage in a bicycle collision.
- Cervical neck injury: Commonly called whiplash, injury to the cervical area of the neck can produce strain or sprain with associated headaches and other symptoms. Some cases of cervical neck injury resolve fairly quickly, while others may take months to heal.
- Facial fracture: Broken bones in the face itself, along with the teeth, may require hospitalization and surgical repair. In some cases, plastic surgery is necessary to restore the face.
- Spinal cord injury: Any injury to the back or spinal cord can cause long-lasting problems, along with pain, spasms and a lower quality of life. Injury to the spinal cord itself can result in permanent partial or complete paralysis.
- Broken bones: Fractures in arms and legs are common in a bicycle collision. Most heal in several months. However, when breaks occur in areas such as the hips or pelvis, they may require surgery and cause permanent damage.
Characteristics of a Roseville Bicycle Collision
Statistics have been gathered by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that shows when a Roseville bicycle collision might happen as well as other characteristics. Taking these factors into consideration, a bicycle rider can exercise more caution.
- Dusk: Since it is more difficult for motorists to see a bicycle rider at dusk than it is to see one during daylight hours, dusk is the time for a bicycle collision to most likely happen.
- Gender: Males, probably because they are predominate as bicycle riders, are six times more likely to be injured in a traffic collision and four times more likely to die in one.
- Geographical location: 70 percent of all bicycle accidents happen in urban areas.
- Time of day: The NHTSA reports that most accidents involving bicycle riders occur between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. Hours are different on weekends with 9:00 p.m. to midnight being the most dangerous.
- Location: Most bicycle accidents (58 percent) happen outside of intersections. Thirty percent happen in intersections, and another 4 percent occur in bike lanes.
- Alcohol: In more than one-third of all accidents involving a bicycle and motorist, one or both were legally drunk.
Roseville Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Roseville personal injury lawyer. If you or your family member was injured by a negligent driver or other entity, you may benefit from a free consultation with a seasoned injury lawyer. I can be contacted at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice, or my toll-free line at (800) 404-5400. You can also get in touch with me at AutoAccident.com through our “contact us” form.
One group I belong to as a California member is the Million Dollar Forum, a group established to recognize top trial lawyers who have won more than $1 million in either a case settlement or verdict for a client.
At the following sites, you can check out client comments and reviews as well as some of the cases we have handled:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/bicycle-bike-biker-cyclist-person-1867232/
:cd llo [cs 775] cv