Rollover Crash on State Route 160
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. A recent two-vehicle crash occurred along State Route 160 in the vicinity of Walnut Grove. One vehicle went off the road and ended up on its side at the levee near an orchard. Emergency personnel from the Sacramento Fire Department arrived on the scene to check the vehicle. One individual was reportedly trapped in the car that had overturned. Information has not yet been released on the names of those in the crash or whether drugs or alcohol was involved.
Details of the Crash
The accident happened just after 5:30 in the early morning hours when a Ford Mustang collided with what was believed to be a pickup truck on the road between Vorden and Paintersville. One of the vehicles and debris from the collision blocked the entire road, as reported by authorities with the California Highway Patrol (CHP). This led to a SigAlert being called for the area while cleanup was in progress to clear the wreckage. The roadway was reopened around 8:00 a.m. The CHP has released no information as to the cause of the crash or whether injuries were involved.
Rollovers cause some of the most severe injuries in a collision and often result in fatalities. According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, fatal accidents caused by rollovers are increasingly seen in some vehicles such as SUVs, light trucks, and vans. This is because these types of cars have a higher center of gravity than most other vehicles, which causes them to roll over more easily. Also, some cars and trucks have roofs that are not geared toward rollovers. This can result in a crushed roof, which adds to the trauma suffered by the occupants of the vehicle.
Avoiding a Rollover
Sometimes rollovers are unavoidable. However, there are a few tips that make a driver less likely to be involved in this potentially deadly type of accident.
- Choosing a vehicle that isn’t known to be subject to rollover problems is a start. Purchasing a vehicle that is lower to the ground makes it much less likely to roll over in a crash.
- Be cautious driving in inclement weather. Snow, sleet, and rain make it dangerous for any driver but more so for someone in a vehicle at higher risk of a rollover. Driving with caution and slowing down can help avoid not only rollovers but many types of accidents.
- Wear your seat belt: Seat belts have been shown to save lives. In a rollover, your seat belt will help keep you and your loved ones from suffering serious injuries or from being ejected from the vehicle.
- Keep your tires balanced. If the pressure in your tires in unequal, it can destabilize the car and increase the risk of rollover.
- Avoid drinking and driving. Alcohol and motor vehicles don’t mix. This is because alcohol consumption affects coordination, response time and the ability to think clearly. This makes it more difficult for the driver to react carefully, causing a collision that could result in serious injuries.
Extricating Someone Trapped in a Vehicle
When someone becomes trapped in a vehicle after a crash, it is essential to extricate them as soon as possible, particularly if they are injured. Using instruments such as the Jaws of Life, first responders have made it possible for injured individuals to receive the treatment they need in time. If you are alone with someone trapped in a vehicle before help arrives, make sure to inform 911 operators about it. Use calm reassuring speech to let the trapped person know that support is on the way. If possible, keep a stream of conversation going until help arrives.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento car accident and personal injury lawyer. If you or a family member has been hurt in an accident, you need an experienced lawyer at your side. Reach out to me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for friendly and free advice. You can contact me online if that is easier for you.
I’ve helped many residents of Sacramento over the years with wrongful death claims. Whether a car accident or a traumatic brain injury, I work hard to make sure my clients receive the compensation they deserve.
I am a member of the milliondollaradvocates.com. All trial lawyers in the forum have obtained a verdict or settlement which exceeded 1 Million in value for clients.
You need to learn about an attorney before you retain them. Find out more about me and my law firm by visiting the following pages:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/car-control-panel-emergency-equipment-210113/
:cd [cs 801] cv