Rollover Accident With Injuries Occurs on I-5
A rollover accident in Corning on May 12 resulted in major injuries and a helicopter flight to the hospital. The accident happened along I-5 southbound just north of the Liberal Avenue off-ramp around 3:34 p.m. The accident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that a Dodge pickup ended up on its roof in the center divider.
Emergency Responders Arrive to Help Woman and Minor Trapped in Vehicle
A female and minor were inside and possibly trapped in the rollover accident. Cal Fire emergency responders were called to the site to help those inside. Other vehicles were involved in the collision, which were found along the right-hand side of the roadway.
Injured Transported to U.C. Davis Medical Center
Officers with the Corning Police Department shut down the off-ramp. Several lanes were closed down for the helicopter to land, which transported the injured to U.C. Davis Medical Center. The lanes were reopened around 5:30 p.m. CHP traffic investigators are working to determine why the collision occurred.
Why a Rollover Accident Causes Serious Trauma
Rollover accidents can cause serious trauma because they involve a high-impact collision. The violence of the crash results in severe damage to the vehicle, its occupants and any other objects in its way. When a car rolls over, it typically does so at an angle that increases the chances of severe injury or death. The car’s roof can become crushed, and the airbags may fail to deploy, leading to a greater risk of serious head injury.
What Damages Are Recoverable in a Personal Injury Claim?
In a personal injury claim, the injured party may be entitled to recover damages for both economic and non-economic losses, such as the following:
- Medical expenses: This includes costs for all necessary medical care related to the injury, such as hospital stays, doctor visits, medication, physical therapy and rehabilitation.
- Lost wages: The injured party may recover compensation for any wages or salary lost due to their inability to work due to the injury.
- Pain and suffering: The injured party may be compensated for any physical or emotional pain and suffering resulting from the injury.
- Loss of consortium: In some cases, an injured spouse may be entitled to compensation for the loss of companionship and other benefits that come from being married to their partner.
- Disfigurement or scarring: The injured party may be entitled to compensation for any permanent physical disfigurement or scarring caused by the injury.
- Punitive damages: Punitive damages are intended to punish the wrongdoer for their reckless behavior and deter similar conduct in the future. These damages are rarely awarded but may be available in certain cases. Punitive damages are intended to punish the defendant and are in addition to the injury compensation.
Attorney Ed Smith provides the following tips in the video below about hiring a lawyer:
Corning Personal Injury Lawyer
I am Ed Smith, a Corning personal injury lawyer. If another’s negligence caused your injury, you may be able to recover compensation. You can reach us at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. Our accident attorneys can also be reached via an online form. Our free consultation can answer your questions, explain your rights, and review your case without obligation on your part.
Among the organizations we’re proud to be a part of are:
As personal injury lawyers with years of experience, we’ve helped many clients obtain the compensation they deserve. Please visit the following links to see how we’ve helped others:
Photo attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLQ8I1W1gR8&t=10s; Image by G.C. from Pixabay
:cd llo