Reckless Driving in Citrus Heights
Reckless driving in Citrus Heights was caught on videotape as local police filmed negligent drivers. Combining the film into a two-minute long montage, 26 drivers can be shown running red lights, some of them leading to auto accidents. Others were near misses that could have turned deadly. In one spot, a wrong way driver can be seen. In another, a pedestrian is crossing the street as a car that has run the red light continues on, narrowly missing him.
Intersections That Were Monitored
Videos of the reckless driving were captured from the cameras posted at intersections. Some of the intersections used were those at Greenback Lane and Sunrise Boulevard and Garden Gate and Antelope roads. Others were placed along Sunrise Boulevard and Auburn and Greenback. About 50 percent of the videos were taken after dark. The video by the Citrus Heights Police Department was a hit on Facebook when it was posted. Not surprisingly, it wasn’t 24 hours before over 87,000 Facebook users had seen the film.
There are a number of dangerous intersections in Citrus Heights. Since about 40 percent of all traffic accidents happen in intersections, it is particularly important that motorists, pedestrians, and others stay alert for reckless drivers. Reckless driving can include the following actions, any of which could cause a collision:
- Drugged driving: Illicit drugs, along with some over-the-counter and prescription medications can lead to a reckless driving accident.
- Drunk driving: Those who are intoxicated lack good judgment and the reflexes necessary when behind the wheel of a vehicle.
- Failure to yield: This type of reckless driver does not show the duty of care to others that is necessary to avoid accidents.
- Not using turn signals: Making a turn without signaling first is a sign of a reckless driver because it can cause an accident.
- Speeding: Excessive speed is responsible for a large number of crashes. When approaching an intersection, it can prevent the driver from stopping for a red light.
- Running a red light or stop sign: Drivers often do this because they misjudge the rate of speed of another vehicle and think they can beat it through an intersection.
- Speeding up to beat a red light: Yellow lights are a caution to slow down, not to speed up.
- Illegal passing: Passing illegally such as on a double yellow line is risky and dangerous behavior.
- Tailgating: Following too closely prevents the driver from stopping if the motorist in front stops short.
- Driving too fast in inclement weather: This is a common cause of accidents. Drivers need to slow down and use extra caution when the pavement is wet, it’s foggy, or snow is on the ground.
Seeking Help From a Car Accident Lawyer
A personal injury lawyer with experience can help by negotiating for you with the insurance companies to get the financial relief you need to pay your medical costs, lost work time and other expenses. In the event the insurance company does not offer a fair amount, the lawyer can build a case for compensation to present in civil court. The attorney does this by examining existing evidence for flaws and conducting their own investigation using techniques such as accident reconstruction and expert witnesses.
Citrus Heights Car Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Citrus Heights car accident lawyer. Reckless drivers cause many accidents every year by disregarding the safety of others. If you were injured in an accident caused by negligence, you may be able to obtain fair compensation for your injuries and other costs. Get in touch with me at (916) 921-6400 for free and friendly advice for your situation. I also have a toll-free line at (800) 404-5400 and an online contact form at AutoAccident.com, the website I founded and operate.
I’m a California member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel as well as Million Dollar Advocates Forum. The NADC invites a small percentage of lawyers to join their group who have demonstrated high legal excellence in the profession. The second group recognizes trial lawyers who have obtained in excess of $1 million for a client.
When you need legal advice, it can be difficult to decide which lawyer to call. For this reason, I have included links to client comments and reviews as well as a list of some previous cases that my law firm has handled:
Photo Attribution: Depositphotos_84780222_l-2015
:cd llo [cs 768] cv