Pedestrian Fatality Occurs on Sunrise Boulevard On-Ramp
A pedestrian fatality accident was reported on December 23 when a person on foot was struck and killed by a motorist. The collision occurred on the on-ramp at Sunrise Boulevard off Highway 50 during the evening hours, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Office. Although officers with the Rancho Cordova Police Department performed CPR on the pedestrian, he died at the accident scene.
Driver Who Struck Pedestrian Cooperating With Investigation
The driver who struck the pedestrian stayed at the accident scene and was cooperative in the investigation. Road closures were not required as the investigation into the accident was performed and the scene cleared.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim in a Pedestrian Fatality Accident
When pedestrian fatalities are caused by negligence, wrongful death claims can be filed for families by personal injury lawyers. In the event that an accident fatality occurs due to a negligent party’s actions, this party can be held responsible. We have handled many cases successfully at our firm, and our wrongful death lawyers are skilled at bringing justice to grieving families.
Pedestrian Death Compensation
Families of pedestrians who die due to negligence may be able to sue for wrongful death. A decedent’s executor may also file. A single lawsuit may be filed, however. Recoverable items include:
- Burial and funeral expenses are recoverable.
- Wages and other benefits until retirement age can be claimed.
- Loss of consortium by the surviving spouse is recoverable.
- Guidance, training and nurturing that the children have lost can be claimed.
- A stepchild may be able to recover damages if the deceased provided their financial support by 50 percent or more.
- Grandchildren may join the claim if their parent is deceased.
- Services the loved one provided to the family, including maintenance of vehicles and lawns, child care and more is recoverable.
- A survival action may be filed by the estate or family of a decedent if they did not die immediately or were hospitalized before their demise. A personal injury lawsuit that the decedent could have filed if still alive and is replaced by this proceeding. In a survival action, medical expenses and pain and suffering before death are included.
- A family may be entitled to seek punitive damages if a loved one died as a result of egregious behavior or an intentional act. The possibility of requesting punitive damages in California is rare, so check with your lawyer to see if it’s possible to do so.
Pedestrian Deaths as a Result of Traffic Collisions
In many years of practice, the accident attorneys with our law firm have successfully recovered compensation for many grieving families after a pedestrian fatality accident. Families suffer immense grief when a loved one dies in a pedestrian accident, and our legal team understands the trauma caused by such losses. We try to make our assistance to our clients as easy as possible during these challenging times. In protecting our clients’ rights, we use our tenacity and investigative skills to successfully resolve their cases.
Rancho Cordova Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a Rancho Cordova personal injury lawyer. If your loved one was killed by someone else’s negligence in a pedestrian fatality collision, you may be able to file a wrongful death claim. If you would like compassionate, free and friendly legal advice, please call our injury lawyers at (916) 921-6400 or at (800) 404-5400. If you prefer to reach us online, that is another option.
The following are some of the ways in which our injury lawyers have assisted others:
We are privileged to be a part of the following groups:
:cd llo