Preventing Drunk Driving Accidents in Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident lawyer. Driving after consuming alcohol is deadly. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, impaired driving is attributable to one-third of all traffic accidents in the nation. It is essential for everyone to prevent drunk driving from the start and understanding the ways of driving defensively on the road to protect themselves and their loved ones from harm’s way.
4 Tips on How to Prevent Drunk Driving
The most effective way of preventing drunk driving is to stop it from occurring in the first place. Following are some tips on how to do so:
- Do not plan on operating a motor vehicle if you will be drinking. Before you start a party, plan a safe ride home by designating a sober motorist in advance.
- Do not drive for any reason if you have consumed alcohol. Use public transportation, contact a sober family member or friend, call a taxi, or have a rideshare service like Uber pick you up and safely get you home.
- If you notice someone has been drinking and is about to head out, take their car keys away from them and arrange a ride home for them.
- Contact local law enforcement or 911 if you spot an impaired driver on the road. Keep in mind that your actions could help save the lives of others.
How to Spot a Drunk Driver
There are many signs related to drunk driving to be aware of when traveling on the road. If you spot a motorist on the road showing any of the following driving behaviors, maintain a safe following distance and report the driver to the police.
- Applying the brakes erratically
- Coming to a stop without reasonable cause
- Conducting illegal or abrupt turns
- Drifting, straddling or swerving toward the center line
- Delayed responses to traffic stops or signals
- Driving along the wrong side of the street
- Making wide-radius turns
- Nearly colliding with another vehicle or object
- Not using their headlights at night
- Traveling at very low speeds
- Weaving in and out of lanes
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Being involved in an auto accident can be a painful and frightening experience as they are often unavoidable. The situation can be compounded when the accident occurred as a result of drunk driving. Any type of car accident is capable of causing severe injury resulting in high medical expenses, time lost from work, and other associated losses. If this situation applies to you or your family member, it is essential to retain an experienced personal injury attorney in Modesto. A seasoned lawyer can ensure you that your case is in good hands by protecting your best interests and securing your right to fair compensation for resulting damages.
Modesto Auto Accident & Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto car accident lawyer. People are often left not knowing what to do following a car accident. If you or a loved one has suffered injuries in a car accident caused by the negligence of another, you may reach out to me anytime for free, friendly legal advice. Contact me at (209) 227-1931 locally or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
You are welcome to browse through reviews and ratings by some of our former clients on:
I am a California member of Million Dollar Advocates, a national forum for attorneys with a prior trial verdict or settlement of $1 million or more.
Visit my Verdicts and Settlements page to browse a list of my past cases and their summarized results.
Image Source: By “stevepb” via Pixabay
:ds [cs 607] cv