Man Arrested in Fatal Street Racing Accident Near Stockton
Authorities arrested a man in connection with a fatal street racing accident that occurred in downtown Stockton on March 25, 2018. The individual recently arrested faces charges including felony hit and run and other traffic violations.
I would like to extend my sympathy to the friends and family of Mr. Hosman, who was killed in this incident.
A 45-year-old man was driving his red sports utility vehicle (SUV) along North California Street near East Oak Street at about 5:00 pm. The man was reportedly racing a black truck when the two vehicles ran a red light and collided with an uninvolved vehicle proceeding through the intersection. The man allegedly left his SUV behind and fled the scene on foot while the driver of the pickup truck sped away, leaving the other motorist behind to suffer from their injuries.
Identity of Victim
Unfortunately, the driver who was struck by the two racing vehicles succumbed to their injuries at a local hospital. The San Joaquin County Coroner’s Office later identified the victim as 65-year-old Patrick Hosman.
Police Arrest Hit and Run Driver
Officers from the Stockton Police Department apprehended the driver of the red SUV involved in the fatal street racing accident on April 2, 2018. The man, identified as 45-year-old Felix Oscar Arreola, has been charged with one count of hit and run causing death, vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence, driving on the wrong side of the road, running a red light, and not having auto insurance. Officials indicated that Arreola has been previously convicted in 2007 and 2014 for criminal threats and can be facing a possible life sentence under California’s “three strikes” law.
Hit and Run Charges
Hit-and-run accidents are when a motor vehicle collides with another car, pedestrian, bicyclist, fixed objects, and structures. The driver leaves the crash scene following the incident without identifying themselves. In California, there are two types of charges following a hit-and-run:
- Misdemeanor Hit and Run: As defined in California Vehicle Code 20002(a), a hit and run only results in property damage.
- Felony Hit and Run: Where a hit and run accident causes an injury or death to another party.
Common Injuries in Hit-and-Run Accidents
Depending on the severity of the collision, victims of hit-and-run accidents often suffer a wide variety of injuries, such as:
- Bone Fractures: This type of injury involves a partial or complete break in a bone and often requires medical attention for weeks or even months on end.
- Internal Injuries: These injuries are caused by blunt force trauma to the body which can prove fatal if they are not correctly diagnosed and treated promptly.
- Spinal Cord Damage: Spinal cord injuries can happen to anyone, regardless of age. These injuries are commonly sustained in car accidents, contact sports, diving injuries, or slips and falls.
- Traumatic Brain Injury: Brain injuries are very involved in nature and can have profound effects on the victim and their friends and family. Some of the common symptoms of brain trauma include changes in personality, learning difficulties, lack of coordination, and headaches.
Sometimes, hit and run drivers escape being held liable for their negligent actions. An injured party may have difficulty recovering damages without the identity of the at-fault party. Fortunately, hit-and-run victims may fall back on their automobile insurance policy if insured through Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM). It is essential to contact an experienced personal injury attorney in Stockton to protect your rights and to file a claim to recover compensation for the damages you suffered.
Related Articles by Edward A Smith Law Offices:
Stockton Personal Injury Attorney
I’m Ed Smith, a Stockton personal injury attorney. Accidents involving hit and run drivers can result in significant injuries or even death. If you or a loved one has been injured in a crash, please contact me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free, friendly advice.
You are invited to browse ratings and reviews about my work as an injury lawyer on these sites:
The Million Dollar Advocates Forum is an organization that recognizes trial lawyers with client verdicts that exceed one million dollars. I am proud to be listed as a member of the California chapter of this forum.
My Verdicts and Settlements are available here.
Image Credit: By “3839153” via Pixabay
: ds [cs 769] cv