Penetrating Injuries of the Chest
A penetrating injury of the chest can have fatal consequences. The chest is protected by the rib cage; however, these slender bones only provide so much protection. The chest is home to many vital organs including the heart and lungs. The chest is also home to the trachea, the esophagus, and the aorta. An injury to any of these organs can lead to death in a matter of seconds. One of the sources of penetrating wounds of the chest is traumatic accidents. Some of the potential penetrating injuries include:
- Metal rods, screws, and plates that could fly throughout the car in an auto accident.
- Glass shards coming from broken windows and doors.
- Rocks, stones, and glass that could be on the pavement in a motorcycle or bicycle accident.
These are only a few of the many sources of penetrating injuries of the chest in traumatic accidents. Penetrating chest injuries can lead to life-threatening injuries.
Examples of Penetrating Chest Injuries
If a foreign object enters the chest cavity in a traumatic accident, several severe injuries could result. Some of these examples include:
- A collapsed lung from a penetrating injury of the pleural lining of the lung tissue.
- A pericardial effusion that results from a penetrating injury of the lining of the heart.
- Penetrating wounds of the aorta, which carries blood from the heart to the rest of the body.
- Damage to the esophagus which connects the mouth with the stomach.
All of these injuries are life-threatening and will require emergency medical care.
Treatment of Penetrating Injuries of the Chest
If someone presents at the emergency room following a motor vehicle accident, a thorough physical exam will take place. If an individual has suffered a penetrating injury of the chest, emergency treatment will begin. This could include:
- Providing the individual with supplemental oxygen.
- Starting medications that are used to keep the heart beating and the blood pressure up.
- Placing a chest tube in the chest to reinflate a collapsed lung.
- Using a needle to drain the fluid from around the heart.
- Emergency surgery to stop any sources of internal bleeding.
Watch YouTube Video: Penetrating Chest Trauma Case Study. This animated video illustrates a scenario of penetrating chest trauma.
Contacting a Personal Injury Attorney
Injuries of the chest always need to be taken seriously. Damage to the heart and lungs could place someone in an emergency situation in the blink of an eye. As a loved one recovers from these devastating injuries, it is essential for families to ask for help. It is a good idea to meet with a personal injury lawyer in Sacramento. Some of the ways that a trained legal professional can help include:
- Taking a look at the records from the accident to make sure that nothing has been overlooked.
- Working with professionals to recreate what happened at the scene of the accident.
- Shifting a case from the negotiating table to the courtroom when necessary.
Families should also remember that they are not alone following a severe accident. Meet with a Sacramento personal injury lawyer. You and your loved ones could be owed a significant financial award.
Sacramento Personal Injury Attorneys
I’m Ed Smith, a Personal Injury Lawyer in Sacramento. If someone suffers a penetrating injury to the chest, they could end up with life-threatening injuries that require emergency medical care. If your family member has suffered severe chest injury in a motor vehicle accident, please give me a call at (800) 404-5400 or (916) 921-6400 for free, friendly legal advice.
All of my visitors are encouraged to take a look at our verdicts or settlements.
:dr 0p cha [cs 662]