Pedestrian Killed in West Sacramento Accident
A pedestrian killed in West Sacramento was hit by a vehicle traveling the crossroads of Jefferson and Stone boulevards on July 6. The pedestrian suffered serious injuries and was pronounced dead at the hospital. The accident occurred at 8:25 in the evening, according to West Sacramento Police. As of this report, authorities have not identified the woman who died. The police have said that alcohol or drugs do not appear to be involved in the crash. I would like to offer my condolences to the family and friends of the deceased.
A second pedestrian was hit by a big rig on the same day. This happened on West Capitol Avenue in the 1700 block. The pedestrian was taken to a local hospital, and reports show that the injuries were not life-threatening.
Pedestrians at an Increased Risk
Some pedestrians are at an increased risk, such as older individuals who may not be able to cross as fast. Those 65 and older account for approximately 20 percent of all pedestrian deaths. They also account for 15 percent of pedestrians injured in a crash. Children represent another subcategory who suffer pedestrian injuries more often than adults. Twenty percent of all children who died in traffic accidents were walking at the time.
How an Attorney Can Help
When one of the parties to a collision passes away — so does their version of what happened. This is why it is so important to contact an attorney. An experienced lawyer can investigate an accident by visiting the scene and examining pertinent evidence to determine liability. He or she will also review police reports for accuracy as well as question witnesses in an effort to confirm the true cause of a pedestrian death. Once the necessary information is gathered, the attorney can determine if negligence on the part of the motorist contributed or caused the death of the pedestrian. If so, a wrongful death suit can be filed by certain family members of the deceased. For more information, contact an experienced lawyer.
Things drivers Can Do to Keep Pedestrians Safe
Drivers need to do the following to keep pedestrians safe:
- Always be on the outlook for pedestrians.
- Always use your lights and signals.
- Use extra caution in inclement weather. It is more difficult to see a pedestrian, and they have a hard time seeing you too.
- Obey the speed limit. This is especially true in school zones and residential neighborhoods.
- If a pedestrian is in a crosswalk, a motorist must yield to them. Never try to circumvent a pedestrian in a crosswalk.
- Even if you don’t see a pedestrian in the crosswalk, slow down as you approach it. A pedestrian might be ready to step off the curb just as you approach.
- Do not pass a car that is in a crosswalk. There may be a pedestrian in the crosswalk that you cannot see.
- Do not stop in the crosswalk. Always leave enough room, so other drivers can see crossing pedestrians also.
- Don’t drive distracted.
- Never drink and drive.
West Sacramento Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a West Sacramento pedestrian accident lawyer. If you or a loved one have suffered serious injury or death due to someone’s negligence, you need the insight an experienced injury lawyer can provide. To reach me in the Sacramento area, call (916) 921-6400. If you are outside of the area code, call (800) 404-5400. Contact me online if that is more convenient for you.
I belong to the following organizations:
Learn about my practice at the following pages:
Photo Attribution: https://www.pexels.com/photo/ambulance-architecture-building-business-263402/
:cd llo [cs 586] bw