Pedestrian Injured in Elk Grove Collision
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove Pedestrian Accident Lawyer. A pedestrian was injured in an accident on Thursday night near Laguna Boulevard and Laguna Main Street in Elk Grove.
Investigators report that an unidentified man stepped into the roadway from the median and was hit by a car travelling west on Laguna Boulevard. The pedestrian suffered serious injuries described as life threatening. Emergency responders transported the injured person to a hospital for medical treatment. The driver of the automobile stayed at the accident site and is cooperating with police.
Common Injuries in Pedestrian Accidents
Injuries sustained in pedestrian accidents are often catastrophic. Injuries like bone fractures, lacerations, and soft tissue damage are common. Because of the intense forces a person is subjected to in a pedestrian accident, injured parties regularly suffer multiple instances of trauma, including brain injury and comorbidities.
Pedestrians Don’t Have Armor
About 6,000 pedestrians are killed each year as a result of motor vehicle collisions, with over 110,000 pedestrians injured by automobiles each year in the United States. In California, 813 people were killed and over 11,000 were injured in pedestrian accidents in 2015, accounting for nearly 25% of roadway deaths in the state. This is nearly 70% above the national average-no other state has more pedestrian roadway deaths.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians & Drivers
The Office of Traffic Safety- along with the State Transportation Agency, Caltrans, CHP, and the DMV– has implemented a campaign to raise pedestrian safety awareness. The following tips have been published by the Pedestrians Don’t Have Armor public service announcement:
- Stay visible: wear brightly colored clothing and use a flashlight when walking at night.
- Avoid risky situations: always use the crosswalk (no jaywalking), and make eye contact with drivers when crossing. Don’t assume that drivers or pedestrians will see you.
- Stay Alert: Be aware of your surroundings. Talking on the phone or texting takes your attention away from risks that you might otherwise be able to identify and avoid. Staying sober is another way to improve safety for both drivers and pedestrians.
- Follow the Rules: Act predictably and follow the rules of the road. Look before you cross, obey traffic signals, and look out for turning vehicles. Remember to yield to pedestrians in the cross walk or intersections, and always be careful when backing up your car.
Related Articles by Elk Grove Accident Lawyer, Ed Smith:
- Pedestrian Accident Investigations
- Motorcycle Accident in Elk Grove on Hwy 99 Halts Traffic
- Jet Ski Crash Kills Elk Grove Teen
Elk Grove Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Pedestrian Accident Lawyer in Elk Grove. Have you or someone you love been injured in an accident? Please contact me right away at (916) 694-0002 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice with no obligation. I can also be reached online at AutoAccident.com.
I have been serving the Elk Grove and Northern California community since 1982, helping people injured in accidents and their families recover. See some of my client’s reviews on: Avvo, Google, and Yelp.
I am also a member of the Million Dollar Forum. This group recognizes trial lawyers who have achieved case verdicts and settlements of one million dollars or more.
See some of my past Verdicts and Settlements here.