Deadly Accident at Trinity River Drive Intersection Causes Pedestrian Fatality
A pedestrian fatality was reported in Rancho Cordova on November 8 caused by a driver who fled the scene afterward. The incident occurred around 10:00 p.m. along Trinity River Drive at its intersection with Sunrise Boulevard. Officers with the Rancho Cordova Police Department said a caller reported a man who was lying in the road, but they didn’t know if the driver had stayed or left the scene of the accident.
Police Investigators Arrive at the Scene of the Pedestrian Fatality
Upon arrival, officers discovered the man was unresponsive, and he was declared dead by medics with Sac Metro Fire. Investigators were called to the site of the pedestrian fatality accident to compile evidence and interview witnesses to the crash. However, no information about the hit-and-run driver was released at the time of the report.
Information Sought by Authorities in Hit-and-Run Fatality Accident
The name of the deceased will be released by the Sacramento County Coroner’s Office once the man’s family has been notified of his passing. Those who might be able to offer information about the accident are asked to phone Detective Kenneth Gouveia at the Rancho Cordova Police Department. The phone number is (916) 875-9623. Alternatively, they can call Sacramento Valley Crime Stoppers at (916) 443-HELP.
Recovering Damages Following a Wrongful Death
When a family’s loved one dies either in an accident caused by negligence or an intentional act, they can join together to place a wrongful death claim. By doing so, the family can not only avoid the financial stress caused by the loss, but they can also find closure. By filing, the family may be able to recover the following damages, with the help of an injury lawyer:
- Wages the decedent would have earned until their age of retirement can be recovered, which includes pension benefits, insurance, IRA contributions and other perks of the job.
- The spouse that survives may recover damages for the loss of moral support, companionship, and loss of consortium provided by the decedent.
- The family’s children may recover damages for the loss of protection, guidance and care the decedent provided.
- The cost of the funeral and burial are recoverable.
- The cost of chores performed by the deceased loved one around the home are recoverable. These may include taking care of the family vehicles, lawn or child care, tax preparation and others.
- The loss of inheritance might be recoverable since the decedent will not be adding to the estate inherited by their beneficiaries.
- A survival action can be filed in the event the loved one remained alive for a while before passing away. The estate files a survival action on the deceased person’s behalf and can recover the medical expenses incurred before their passing and damages caused by their pain and suffering.
- If the pedestrian fatality was an intentional act or especially egregious, the family may request punitive damages if the party was convicted of felony homicide or if a survival action was filed. Since few cases allow punitive damages, your attorney can explain further whether your family would be eligible to file for this.
Rancho Cordova Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Rancho Cordova wrongful death lawyer. If your family has lost a loved one due to a negligent driver, call us for our caring, free and friendly advice at (916) 921-6400 to find out whether you can file a wrongful death lawsuit. We can also be reached at (800) 404-5400 or by messaging us online.
We are honored to be California members of:
Discover information about how the legal team at AutoAccident.com has helped others at the following links:
Since 1982, our injury lawyer team has helped numerous people in Northern California, including Rancho Cordova, in recovering the compensation they deserve for all kinds of traffic accidents, hit-and-run collisions, wrongful deaths, and other cases.
:cd llo