Accident on Jibboom Street Reported When Driver Hits Pedestrian
A pedestrian fatality was reported on August 12 at an intersection in Sacramento after a male was struck by a vehicle. The Sacramento Police Department said the accident occurred at the Jibboom Street intersection with Railyards Boulevard around 9:57 p.m. The pedestrian was transported to a nearby hospital with serious injuries, where he died.
Investigation Ongoing Into Pedestrian Fatality Accident
Officers investigating the fatal accident said they did not believe alcohol impairment was a factor in the accident. However, the investigation is still open and ongoing. Although the intersection has traffic lights, information was not provided on whether the pedestrian was in the crosswalk at the time of the crash.
Driver Negligence as the Cause of a Pedestrian Fatality
There are certainly times when a pedestrian is killed or injured because they are crossing a street in areas where they are unexpected such as the middle of the block, or the walker is trying to get across a highway. However, when traffic lights and crosswalks are available and being used by pedestrians, driver negligence can come into play as the cause of a pedestrian fatality accident.
- A pedestrian crossing at a crosswalk is struck by a speeding driver. When a driver speeds, they often do not have enough time to avoid striking someone on foot.
- Distracted driving is responsible for a surprising number of accidents that involve a pedestrian fatality. Drivers may not realize that their vehicle travels the length of a football field in the amount of time it takes to text someone. Those few seconds of looking away from the roadway is enough to do it.
- Drinking and driving is responsible for a number of different types of accidents, including those that involve pedestrians. Because the driver has impaired vision and judgment as well as slowed reflexes, they might not even see a pedestrian in the road until it’s too late.
- Fatigued driving can make the motorist so sleepy that they become less aware of their surroundings. Because staying alert is important when driving, fatigue can lead to a pedestrian fatality accident.
Filing a Wrongful Death Claim Following a Pedestrian Fatality Accident
When a loved one is killed in an accident caused by a negligent driver, the family may be able to file a claim for wrongful death. It will not ease their pain and sense of loss, however, filing a claim can help the family obtain justice and help them move forward. An accident attorney may be able to help the family recover the following:
- Wages the deceased would have earned until retirement age, including benefits
- The cost of the funeral services and burial
- The spouse can recover compensation for loss of consortium, love and affection
- The family’s children can recover compensation for the loss of guidance and nurturing provided by their deceased parent
- Loss of inheritance can be recovered in some cases
- Loss of household support such as lawn care, tax preparation and others
Wrongful Death Attorney in Sacramento
I’m Ed Smith, and I am a wrongful death lawyer in Sacramento. When a family’s loved one dies in an accident, they might want to find out about filing a wrongful death claim to recover damages. Contact us at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice from our injury lawyers. If you prefer, we can be contacted online.
We’re pleased to be members of the associations that follow:
Look over the following links to see how our team of injury lawyers has helped others:
Photo attribution: Image by Myriams-Fotos from Pixabay
:cd llo