Accident on Fair Oaks Boulevard Claims Pedestrian’s Life
A pedestrian fatality occurred in Carmichael recently after the walker was fatally struck by a vehicle. The accident happened along Fair Oaks Boulevard around 7:10 p.m. when a Sacramento man, age 59 and driving a Ford Fusion, struck the female pedestrian, identified as 81-year-old Forouz Kashi, as she was crossing Fair Oaks Boulevard at Marshall Avenue. According to the police report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP), although the injured woman was flown to Mercy San Juan Medical Center, she died there of her injuries.
Investigation Continues Into Pedestrian Fatality Accident
The CHP is investigating the accident to find out how and why it happened. Neither alcohol nor drug use is suspected as a factor in the pedestrian fatality accident.
Pedestrian Fatality Accidents
Losing a loved one unexpectedly in a pedestrian fatality accident is stressful for both family members and friends. Dealing with a sudden accident is a mix of physical and emotional elements such as grief, confusion, and anger at the person who caused it. Family members seek ways to keep going in this challenging time. Some turn to close friends, others to clergy and physicians.
For many family members, worry over finances is a substantial part of the stress they feel. This is where a wrongful death lawsuit can help with the family member’s demise due to a negligent or intentional act.
Learn more about wrongful death lawsuits in the following video presented by attorney Ed Smith:
Pedestrian Fatality Accidents
The rate of pedestrian fatalities has increased over the past decade, while motor vehicle deaths have decreased. This is due to the large number of pedestrians and increased traffic. It is also due to a pedestrian’s lack of protection and vulnerability. In 2019, over 6,000 pedestrians were killed nationwide. It is expected that an increase will be seen in 2020.
Staying Safe as a Pedestrian
There are things that pedestrians can do to increase their safety. While these efforts help, negligent drivers are still a danger. Some of the things a pedestrian can do are:
- Use a crosswalk. If a crosswalk is not available, take the time to go to the next one.
- Wear light-colored clothing at night, use reflective strips, and carry a flashlight.
- Be aware of your surroundings, especially now since hybrid cars or electric vehicles make little noise.
- Don’t walk distracted. Using headphones or talking on a cell phone can cause the walker to miss clues that a car is headed their way.
What Does a Wrongful Death Lawsuit Provide?
A wrongful death lawsuit will not bring back the loved one or ease the grief you feel. However, it will help the family cope with financial stresses due to the loss of the decedent’s support. Some of the areas a wrongful death lawsuit covers are:
- Lost wages due to the person’s demise can be challenging after a wrongful death, especially if the decedent provided significant support. This also includes future wages, bonuses, benefits, and retirement plans.
- Medical costs amassed prior to the person’s demise can be recovered.
- Funeral and burial costs, which are high, are recoverable.
- Loss of the individual’s love, affection, and guidance are also recoverable.
- Loss of consortium, which is the personal relationship with a spouse, can be recovered.
How a Lawyer Can Help During This Difficult Time
Right after a family member’s death, it is difficult to think of anything other than their absence. However, filing a claim for wrongful death can help cover expenses and give the family a sense of justice for their loved one’s demise. Having an injury attorney helps take the burden off the family as they deal with their grief.
Sacramento Wrongful Death Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith. I’m a Sacramento wrongful death lawyer. If your loved one has died because of a negligent driver, you may face financial problems paying for the funeral and burial as well as other expenses. I may be able to help by giving you free and friendly advice if you call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 on my long-distance line. You are also welcome to message me online.
I am proud and honored to belong to the following groups:
Learn more about my law office by visiting the links that follow:
Photo Attribution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9-lg0clbRM; https://pixabay.com/photos/candle-light-candlelight-flame-2038736/
:cd llo [cs 761]