Pedestrian Accidents in Modesto
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury lawyer. Walking is considered the most underrated form of exercise. Studies have shown that it can improve overall physical and mental health. Regular walks have been found to offer a wide array of benefits such as lowering the rate of weight gain, helping to ease stress, improving memory, and protecting you from heart disease. Although walking is extremely beneficial, it is essential to understand the dangers you may face as a pedestrian. Learn more below.
Incidence of Pedestrians Accidents
Understanding the statistics around pedestrian accidents can help keep you stafe and better informed of the potential dangers you may face while walking.
- Approximately 5,987 pedestrians passed away in traffic accidents in 2016. Of that number, 26 percent of those accidents took place between 6:00 p.m. to 8:59 p.m. (according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration)
- Many of the serious injuries a pedestrian received in an accident were from striking the vehicle’s windshield, hood or bumper. Severe leg, pelvis, and head injuries were common in these types of accidents which may often be mitigated through the improvement of vehicle design (according to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety)
- The fifth leading cause of injury-related deaths among adolescents from age 5 to 19 were unintentional pedestrian injuries (according to SafeKids.org)
Are Pedestrian Accidents Common in Modesto?
Modesto could be a dangerous place for pedestrians. According to the California Office for Traffic Safety, the city reported 107 pedestrian injuries and deaths in 2015 alone. Of this number, 14 pedestrians under the age of 15 and 8 elderly pedestrians were left with traumatic or fatal injuries.
5 Safety Tips for Pedestrians
Pedestrians should always be aware of their surroundings and walk defensively to ensure their safety. Check out the top five safety tips pedestrians should follow when walking around town:
- Always walk on a sidewalk. When a sidewalk is not available, walk facing the flow of traffic.
- Avoid walking while under the influence of alcohol or drugs as being impaired can increase your odds of being hit by a motor vehicle.
- Never assume oncoming cars will stop. Before walking, make eye contact with drivers to make sure they are not distracted while behind the wheel.
- Pedestrian signals should never be solely relied on. Before crossing the road, make sure to look in all directions.
- Wearing headphones while walking is never a good idea as it may impair your hearing to be aware of vehicles approaching or backing up in the area.
6 Safety Tips for Drivers
Drivers are also obligated to exercise due care for pedestrian safety. Below are some tips drivers need to follow when traveling on roads with pedestrians:
- Avoid talking or texting on a cell phone
- Keep an eye out for pedestrians in the street
- Never overtake a car stopped at a crosswalk as the driver may be allowing a pedestrian to cross
- Obey the posted speed limits and reduce your speed when approaching a pedestrian crossing
- Stay sober when operating a motor vehicle
- Yield the right-of-way to pedestrians before making a turn
Watch YouTube Video – Road Safety: Pedestrians
The following video discusses the responsibilities of drivers and pedestrians in keeping themselves out of harm’s way and following the rules of the road.
How a Personal Injury Attorney Can Help
Accidents can happen regardless of how cautious a pedestrian is. When a pedestrian is struck by a negligent driver, it is crucial for that pedestrian to understand what rights they have and what damages they may be compensated for such as medical bills, lost earnings, and other related expenses. This can be done by contacting a seasoned personal injury attorney in Modesto. An experienced attorney will gather the facts and evidence of the accident to properly determine liability, strengthen your case and protect your right to fair compensation for losses incurred.
Modesto Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Modesto personal injury lawyer. Pedestrian injuries and fatalities frequently occur as pedestrians are entirely vulnerable on the road due to their lack of physical protection. If you or a loved one have suffered injuries in a pedestrian accident caused by the negligence of another, I am here to provide you with free, friendly legal advice on your situation. Contact me anytime at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400.
To read feedback from my past clients and peers, go to the following links:
I am a California member of the Million Dollar Advocates.
Browse our Verdicts and Settlements page.
:ds [cs 767] cv