Pedestrian Accident Fatality in Oakland
The Oakland Police Department reported a fatality following a vehicle versus pedestrian accident on the morning of Sunday, February 19, 2023. The pedestrian crash occurred shortly after 7:00 a.m. at Harrison Street and 19th Street, close to Lake Merritt, according to Oakland PD.
Details on the Pedestrian Accident Fatality in Oakland
Officials reported that a 100-year-old man from Oakland was walking in the area when he was allegedly struck by an oncoming vehicle. The driver reportedly left the scene following the car versus pedestrian crash, according to the Oakland Police Department.
Paramedics and firefighters arrived at the scene to provide assistance to the injured elderly man. Sadly, he suffered severe trauma to the head in the crash and succumbed to his injuries. Authorities have identified the deceased as 100-year-old Oakland resident Tzu-Ta Ko.
Oakland PD has released photos of the suspect vehicle, a Mini Cooper that is believed to be white or tan in color. Authorities have offered an award of $10,000 for anyone that has information that leads to the arrest of the suspect party in the fatal hit-and-run pedestrian case.
How an Attorney Can Help With a Wrongful Death Hit-and-Run Case
A pedestrian is vulnerable in a traffic accident because of their lack of physical protection. Individuals on foot often suffer severe or fatal injuries because of the speed and size of the involved vehicle. When the incident was the result of driver negligence, an injured party or family of a decedent may be entitled to compensation. A California accident attorney can help in these cases by:
- Evaluate the case in a free consultation to determine if an injured party or surviving family members have grounds for a claim for damages
- Handle communications and negotiations with insurers and defense counsel on the client’s behalf
- Work with a private investigator in an effort to locate the suspect driver and vehicle involved in the hit-and-run pedestrian accident
- Identify other sources of financial recovery, like uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage, if the suspect party is not located or has been found to have minimum liability coverage limits
- Work with expert witnesses to establish causation and damages, such as an economist for financial losses and an accident reconstruction expert for the sequence of events leading up to the incident
- File the case in civil court within the statute of limitations if a mutual settlement agreement is not reached and move the matter forward into litigation
Our legal team at AutoAccident.com can help you and your family seek maximum compensation from the negligent party or entity who caused the wrongful death of your loved one. Our California personal injury lawyers will work tirelessly to obtain maximum financial recovery for your damages. Learn more about us and our services by watching this video.
Personal Injury Attorney in Oakland
I’m Ed Smith, an Oakland personal injury attorney. The loss of a loved one in a pedestrian accident is devastating, especially if it occurs due to a hit-and-run driver. If this has happened to your family, it is crucial to work with a skilled wrongful death lawyer serving the Oakland area to obtain the justice and financial recovery your family deserves. Unlike the insurer, your attorney will have your best interests at heart throughout the recovery process.
Our legal team from AutoAccident.com is here to help you and your family get through this difficult time. We will handle all aspects of your wrongful death case from start to finish so you can focus on your family and rebuilding your life. Do not hesitate to reach out to our law office for free, friendly case advice. We are available anytime to take your call at (510) 631-0200 or (800) 404-5400.
Trust our injury attorneys to handle your accident case. We bring decades of combined experience to the table. Our legal team will work to obtain the financial compensation you deserve through a verdict or settlement. Learn how we have helped others with their cases by heading over to our Yelp, Google, and Avvo pages. At AutoAccident.com, we are proud to be a part of the Top 1 Percent and the Million Dollar Forum.
Image Credit: “CottonBro” Pexels
:ds llo [cs 719]