Parking Lot Accident in North Highlands
A pedestrian was injured in a parking lot accident on March 25 in North Highlands. The incident took place around 2:00 in the afternoon along Date Avenue near a multi-family home. According to the California Highway Patrol, a pedestrian was struck by a neighbor who was backing out his Nissan. The man who was injured was walking through the parking lot. The driver left the scene of the accident after telling the pedestrian he should watch where he was walking. One witness to the incident told CHP officers where the driver lived. It is unknown whether charges will be filed.
Parking Lot Accidents
Parking lots are often the site of car accidents. Some parking lot accidents may cause serious injuries to a pedestrian or a fatality. The driver may be rushing or is distracted. Some common types of accidents are:
- Speeding: The driver may be driving too fast for conditions or narrow aisles.
- Not looking: The driver may back out of the parking space without looking. New car safety devices help you see what is behind you.
- Using a cell phone: A driver using a cell phone may not take the time to look behind them. This can result in a fatal parking lot crash.
- Not yielding: A driver who does not yield the right-of-way to a pedestrian can cause an accident.
- Failed parking lot design: Some parking lots are hard to navigate. This is a common cause of accidents.
- Lack of maintenance: Failing to maintain the area leads to a parking lot accident. This can include lack of signage, potholes or debris.
Distracted Driving Causes a Parking Lot Accident
Of the 50,000 parking lot accidents that occur each year, most are caused by distracted driving. The following explains why:
- Many drivers are looking at GPS.
- Using social media is another cause.
- Over 43 percent of drivers are using the internet.
- Other drivers are taking photos.
- 42 percent of drivers are video chatting.
Checking for Injuries
The first thing to do is check for injuries. If you were injured, seek medical care. Be alert for injuries that appear later such as cervical sprain (also known as whiplash). Having a medical record of your accident will be important when dealing with the insurer or defendant later.
Do not leave the accident site. This will be charged as a hit and run. Call the police. Locate security at the parking lot. They will help document the accident. Some specific things you should do are:
- Obtain contact information from the other driver and his or her passengers.
- Get insurance information from the driver. Make sure to get the policy number. If the car is owned by someone else, note that.
- Write down the license plate number.
- Note the vehicle’s make and model as well as its color. The paint may be rubbed off at an impact point on your car. This helps establish who caused the damage.
- Check for witnesses. Get their name, phone number, and address. Ask what they saw and write it down. If they are willing, take a video of their statement.
- Look around for cameras. They may be on light poles. Look to see if any witness took a video of the parking lot accident.
- Check out the parking lot. Look for poor design and take a photo. Also, look for a lack of clear directions or signage.
- Write down what aisle you were in when the accident happened. It is easy to forget. There should be an aisle number to guide you.
- Take as many photos as you can.
- Let your insurance company know about the parking lot crash.
North Highlands Pedestrian Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a North Highlands pedestrian accident lawyer. When you are hurt in a parking lot crash, get the help of an injury lawyer. Call me at (916) 921-6400 or (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can also contact me by using my online form at AutoAccidents.com.
I am a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. Members are chosen because they practice legal excellence. I also belong to the Million Dollar Forum. Lawyers in this organization won over $1 million for a client.
Learn about my practice on the following pages:
Photo Attribution: ab
:cd [cs 755] bw