Overturned Truck Dangles Over Cosumnes River Bridge
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove truck accident lawyer. A portion of southbound Highway 99 near Elk Grove was shut down on July 23 due to an accident involving a big rig. Motorists were advised to find an alternate route since the road may be closed during the evening rush hour traffic as law enforcement investigated the crash and have the roadway cleared.
Details of the Accident
The big rig overturned shortly before 11:00 in the morning on the highway near Eschinger Road, crashed through almost 200 feet of guardrail and was left dangling over the Cosumnes River bridge where it caught fire. Good Samaritans extracted the driver from the large truck, but no word was given on whether there were injuries involved.
The truck was hauling a load of almond shells, which spilled across the highway. The delay in reopening this stretch of highway was expected to be long since the truck, and almond shells had to be cleared away and a temporary guardrail to be put into place by workers with Caltrans.
Reasons Big Rigs Overturn
Big rigs are much more difficult to handle because of their large size, weight, and length. However, they can overturn under certain conditions, including:
- Jackknifing happens when the trailer being pulled is moving faster than the tractor.
- Inadequate driver training can result in an overturned big rig as the driver applies the wrong brakes or takes curves too fast.
- Failure to slow down enough when driving around a curve is a matter of concern for all truckers.
- Overcorrection occurs when a big rig drifts out of the lane or starts to roll, which can tip the truck over.
- Distracted or fatigued driving causes the driver to overreact in an emergency situation.
- Strong winds can cause a large truck to overturn.
- Poor weight distribution can cause a big rig to tip.
- Drunk driving is a rare occurrence in truck drivers but can still occur.
Injuries in an Overturned Truck Accident
Due to their size and weight, injuries in a truck accident often befall the driver and other occupants of a passenger vehicle. While there is a broad array of injuries, some of the most common are:
- Head injuries: These are usually significant when a large truck is involved. Traumatic brain injuries can range from concussions to hemorrhage into the brain.
- Fractures: Multiple fractures are possible in a truck accident. Fractures of the spine or the pelvis often pose formidable problems and require surgery.
- Chest trauma: This results from the person’s chest striking the steering wheel. It can cause damage to the lungs or heart. Contusion of either organ can be fatal if not addressed quickly.
- Abdominal trauma: Due to the force of an impact with a big rig, safety restraints frequently cause injury to the abdominal organs. This includes the liver, spleen, and intestines. If not properly treated, bleeding can be fatal.
- Spinal cord injury: Injury to the spinal cord can have devastating effects. It may lead to total or partial paralysis.
Elk Grove Truck Accident Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Elk Grove truck accident lawyer. If you or a loved one has been injured due to a negligent truck driver, you may be compensated for the financial loss your injuries caused. Reach out to me at (916) 694-0002 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 for free and friendly advice. You can contact me online too if that is more convenient for you.
I’ve helped many residents of Elk Grove and those in the wider Northern California area recover fair compensation they deserve for all types of car accidents as well as pedestrian injuries and in wrongful death claims.
You should learn about a lawyer’s practice before retaining them. Check out the reviews by my peers and clients as well as the ways I resolved former cases:
I belong to the Million Dollar Advocates. We are a nationwide forum of top trial attorneys who have won in excess of $1 million for a client.
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/accident-truck-6-axel-22-wheel-2351540/
:cd ds [cs 697] cv