One Killed and Four Injured in Head-On Collision
One person was killed, and four others were injured in a head-on collision near the Amador County and Calaveras County lines on the afternoon of June 10, 2019. The car accident occurred at about 3:45 p.m. along Highway 49 just south of Sandra Road. The head-on collision involved a 2014 Lexus RX350 and a 2018 GMC Denali, both of which sustained significant damage. The Lexus caught fire following the crash. Fortunately, responding officers were able to remove the driver before the Lexus fully engulfed in flames. The four occupants of the GMC Denali, including three children, suffered serious injuries and were taken to separate hospitals in Jackson and Sacramento. Sadly, the Lexus driver was pronounced dead at the scene by first responders. Officials have identified him as 95-year-old Thomas Diermier of San Andreas. Our thoughts and prayers are with the loved ones of Mr. Diermier in their time of loss.
Common Reasons for an Ione Head-On Collision
A head-on collision can be the most dangerous and fatal type of crash for motorists and passengers to be involved in. These accidents can occur for a wide array of reasons such as:
- Distracted Driving: A driver who is distracted by their cell phone can cause a head-on collision when they lose control of their vehicle
- Drowsy Driving: A fatigued driver can drift across the center median of a highway or road and crash head-on with an oncoming vehicle
- Drunk Driving: Alcohol consumption can reduce a driver’s reaction time and significantly impair their ability to make safe driving decisions
- Unsafe Passing: Overtaking another car on a two-lane road can be dangerous. Overestimating how far away an oncoming vehicle is or passing more than one car at a time can cause a head-on accident
What Is Considered Wrongful Death?
The loss of a family member to a fatal car accident can tear a family apart. When this happens, the sorrow and grief suffered by the family can be compounded by financial hardship. Several families are also left with many unanswered questions regarding the sequence of events leading up to the crash. When a loss of life was caused by the negligence of another, this can constitute wrongful death. Survivors who are eligible to file a wrongful death lawsuit may seek compensation from the at-fault party for subsequent losses.
What Damages Can Be Recovered in a Wrongful Death Case?
California law allows the surviving spouse, domestic partner, or children of the decedent to seek compensation for damages they have suffered due to their loved one’s unexpected death. The economic and noneconomic losses available in a California wrongful death action include:
- Funeral expenses and other costs related to the loss of life
- Loss of benefits of the decedent such as pension plans and medical insurance
- Loss of financial support that the deceased person would have provided had he or she lived
- Punitive damages may be pursued against those who committed an egregious act in the accident such as drunk driving
- The mental anguish and emotional pain suffered by survivors
- The value of household services and gifts the deceased would have provided had he or she survived
For more details on what can be recovered in a claim for wrongful death, watch the below video.
Should I Hire an Ione Wrongful Death Attorney?
The litigation process for a wrongful death case can be stressful and time-consuming. This is due to the many different procedures and guidelines involved. Having an experienced wrongful death attorney at your side in these situations can make the difference. A lawyer can gather evidence, file documents, and negotiate a favorable settlement on the family’s behalf. While no amount of money can ever replace a loved one, compensation from a wrongful death claim can provide financial security for the family’s future.
Ione Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Ione personal injury lawyer. A car accident can change the lives of those involved in an instant. Whether through catastrophic injuries or the wrongful death of a loved one, a collision can lead to financial and emotional hardship. If you or a family member has been injured or killed in an auto accident caused by negligent acts of another, please phone me at (209) 227-1931 or toll-free at (800) 404-5400 to receive my free, friendly advice.
You can learn more about our law office by visiting the following sites to read our client reviews:
I am proudly listed as a member of the National Association of Distinguished Counsel and the Million Dollar Advocates. The first group recognizes attorneys who provide dedication and high standards of legal excellence to their clients. The other group permits membership to trial lawyers who have won $1 million or more for a client.
Browse the list of our past case summaries listed on our Verdicts and Settlements page.
Image Attribution: By “jclk8888” via Pixabay / One Killed and Four Injured in Head-On Collision
:ds llo [cs 842]