Vehicle Accident on Forty Mile Road Results in Pedestrian Fatality
A pedestrian fatality accident occurred near Olivehurst on February 6 near the Hard Rock Casino. The collision happened along Forty Mile Road around 4:29 p.m. The incident report by the California Highway Patrol (CHP) said that the person who reported the accident was flagged down by another pedestrian who said her friend had been struck by a motor vehicle.
Fleeing Driver Turns Himself in to Authorities
The Yuba County Fire Department was called to the scene to check on injuries and discovered that the pedestrian had died. The Hard Rock Casino was notified and said they would check their cameras and notify the supervisor. The vehicle that struck the pedestrian, a white sedan with damage to its front bumper, initially fled the scene. However, the driver turned himself in, and the vehicle was towed as evidence.
Fatal Pedestrian Accidents Caused by Negligent Drivers
The negligent driving of a motorist can result in a fatal pedestrian accident in many ways. The following are among them:
- Speed: Pedestrian fatalities are often caused by drivers who exceed the speed limit or go too fast for the conditions. In an accident involving another vehicle, a bicyclist or a pedestrian, the faster the car or truck is traveling, the less time the driver has to react.
- Distracted driving: Distracted or inattentive drivers can cause pedestrian fatality accidents, such as when they talk on a cell phone, eat, drink or engage in other activities that take their attention off the road.
- Impairment: A drunk or drugged driver is more likely to cause a fatal accident with someone on foot due to their impaired reaction time and level of alertness.
- Reckless driving: Pedestrians can be especially at risk when drivers weave in and out of traffic or act recklessly. Because they are on foot, a pedestrian has little chance of getting out of the way of a reckless driver.
- Right of way: Drivers who fail to yield the right of way to pedestrians or don’t respect their rights can cause accidents. Drivers should pay attention to pedestrians and understand who has priority when they are backing out of a space or approaching an intersection, since people on foot have the same rights and privileges as everyone else on the road.
- Vehicle maintenance: Inadequate maintenance of a vehicle can cause a serious accident if the brakes and steering are poorly maintained. Any malfunction can have much greater consequences for pedestrians when sharing the road with them.
Wrongful Death Claim Compensation
An accident lawyer can investigate a pedestrian fatality accident for the cause of death if a family member has passed away. Those who lost a loved one due to the negligence of a motorist are entitled to recover damages through a wrongful death claim. Doing so will allow them to obtain closure and a sense of justice by holding the at-fault party accountable.
Olivehurst Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, an Olivehurst personal injury lawyer. In many pedestrian fatality accidents, negligent drivers are at fault. It may be possible to recover compensation for the deceased’s family by filing a wrongful death claim. If you need free and friendly advice about your accident, please call us to speak to one of our accident attorneys at (530) 392-9400 or (800) 404-5400. For your convenience, we also offer an online contact form.
As a testament to our commitment to our clients, we are members of the following organizations:
The following cases have been successfully handled by our injury lawyers, among many others:
Photo attribution: Image by Andreas Lischka from Pixabay
:cd llo