I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury attorney. Some local residents along a two-mile area are objecting to a proposed bike trail. It is planned to go through their properties that border on the Sacramento River. The city has plans to pave the bike and pedestrian trail area, a project it has wanted to undertake for the past 43 years. The Pocket area residents are concerned about the introduction of people who are not from the local area who might be using the bike path. At least one of the local residents has gone so far as to erect a fence to keep people from walking across their property.
Some Residents in Pocket Object to the Bike Trail
According to one resident, access is limited to maintenance workers and for flood control and is written in his property deed. Those living along this stretch of the proposed bicycle trail were given offers by the city for the use of the land. If the proposals are not accepted, the city may have to claim eminent domain.
Pedestrian Versus Motor Vehicle Accidents
The California Office of Traffic Safety reported in 2015 that there were 231 bicycle accidents with motor vehicles that caused injuries or death to the cyclists. In the county that same year, 620 bicyclists suffered injuries or died as a result of a collision with a vehicle.
Bicycle Accident Trauma
Injuries suffered in bicycle collisions with motor vehicles tend to be severe because of the lack of protection afforded a rider compared with a car. Following are some injuries associated with bicycle riders in collisions:
- Damage to the face can cause lacerations, bruising, broken teeth or even facial fractures and eye injuries. In some cases, scarring or other disfiguration may require plastic surgery to repair.
- Broken bones are most common in the legs and hips but can occur anywhere. Simple fractures may heal in a matter of weeks. However, more severe fractures such as a hip or pelvic ones may require an extended period of recuperation.
- Blunt abdominal trauma happens when the metal of the vehicle collides with soft parts of the body. This can cause internal bleeding and severe damage to organs such as the spleen, kidneys, intestines or liver.
- Brain injuries can be either open or closed, meaning that some serious injuries can occur without penetration. They are caused by the movement of the brain within the skull. Symptoms may include a headache, dilated pupils, numbness or weakness in legs or arms and confusion. Depending on the severity of the injury, brain trauma can range from a minor concussion to severe damage that causes permanent disability requiring around-the-clock care.
- Spinal cord damage can occur, which also ranges from mild to severe. Any type of spinal cord injury can result in lasting health problems from extreme pain and weakness to complete paralysis, depending on its location.
- Injuries to soft tissues can cause significant pain and include muscles, ligaments, and tendons.
Sacramento Car Accident and Personal Injury Lawyer
I’m Ed Smith, a Sacramento personal injury attorney. Bicycle collisions with negligent motorists occur all too often in the Sacramento area, leaving a rider with severe injuries and resulting medical bills. If this happened to you or your loved one, I have free and friendly advice for you. Please call me at (916) 921-6400 if you live around Sacramento. For those who don’t, I offer a toll-free line at (800) 404-5400.
As a Million Dollar Forum member, I belong to a group of nationwide trial lawyers who have garnered case settlements or verdicts for their clients in the amount of one million dollars or more.
Information about a lawyer’s work and recommendations from former clients can help someone seeking legal representation to decide whether or not to place that phone call. You can look mine over at:
Photo Attribution: https://pixabay.com/en/cycling-cyclists-bicycle-tour-tour-979583/
:cd [cs 664] cv